Heatsink solution on home build?

Tags:
  • Homebuilt
  • Heatsinks
  • Systems
  • Product
Last response: in Systems
August 31, 2010 12:22:29 PM

Hi. This question deals with several components, so it could be posted in several places, but Systems made the most sense.

I've got a new system coming in various parts on various UPS trucks this week that I'm hoping to assemble over labor day weekend. I was waiting to get an aftermarket CPU heatsink until I had a chance to see how the stock Intel fan on my i7-930 managed heat. After reading more reviews, I concluded that a) the stock fan blows (and not in the good way), and b) most of these heatsinks are a pain to install after a system is put together.

So, I'm wondering if anyone out there using the Asus Rampage III Gene (it's a m-ATX board, 9.6" x 9.6") can recommend a good cooler for the tight space for an i7-930. My main concern is that I intend to use all the RAM slots, and I'm using G.Skill ripjaws (3 x 4GB sets). So far I've had no luck in figuring out how much clearance the sticks of RAM will need... I'd be thrilled if anyone using these on any board could post how much clearance they need in height.

I managed to save a fair amount of money with various deals and combos, so something high-end is not out of the question. So far I've been looking at the Tuniq Tower 120 Extreme, but like all decent coolers, it's pretty enormous from what I've read.

I do care about noise, the Tuniq seems tolerable, and I expect to do some mild overclocking on the 930 (1366).

Thanks for any input!

More about : heatsink solution home build

a b B Homebuilt system
August 31, 2010 5:40:11 PM

What case do you have? The width of the case may limit the size of cooler you can use.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
August 31, 2010 7:21:31 PM

well the corsair h70 would be quiet good as the case will not have to be that big and it wont mess around with the ram( its a watercooler), i wasnt a fan of the h50 though as it was overpriced for its performance, these are some good aftermarket cpu coolers first of all the coolermaster hyper 212+ its the best cpu cooler price vs performance in my opinion, other good coolers are the thermaltake frio, the megahalems, the noctua NH-D14 and the thermalright silver arrow
m
l
Related resources
August 31, 2010 11:11:30 PM

Sorry on the case... it's a CM HAF 932... I figured it would be plenty big (9 inches width, and others have used smaller cases with some of the tallest coolers), so I didn't mention it. I also didn't want to explain why I have a tiny little board in a ginormous case!

I was mostly interested in fit with the mobo and RAM.

If it matters, the vid card will be a sapphire 5670 Ultimate (passively cooled).

I also should have specified that I wanted an air cooled solution.
m
l
August 31, 2010 11:17:39 PM

gordon_81 said:
well the corsair h70 would be quiet good as the case will not have to be that big and it wont mess around with the ram( its a watercooler), i wasnt a fan of the h50 though as it was overpriced for its performance, these are some good aftermarket cpu coolers first of all the coolermaster hyper 212+ its the best cpu cooler price vs performance in my opinion, other good coolers are the thermaltake frio, the megahalems, the noctua NH-D14 and the thermalright silver arrow

Thanks on those recommendations. I had looked at the thermaltake frio and the noctua, but I was once again concerned about fit with the mobo/RAM and (for the Noctua) availability.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
August 31, 2010 11:27:16 PM

If space is a concern then a good, factory sealed water cooler like the Corsair H50 or H70 is an option. It will give you the cooling power of a 120mm fan but the CPU connector is barely larger than the CPU. Then thin tubes take the hot liquid to a 120mm radiator/fan you mount on the side of the case like an exhaust fan.

The other option is to use to a less powerful, but smaller 92mm cooler like the Arctic Freezer Pro 7 or Coolermaster TX3.
m
l
August 31, 2010 11:35:46 PM

dndhatcher said:
If space is a concern then a good, factory sealed water cooler like the Corsair H50 or H70 is an option. It will give you the cooling power of a 120mm fan but the CPU connector is barely larger than the CPU. Then thin tubes take the hot liquid to a 120mm radiator/fan you mount on the side of the case like an exhaust fan.

The other option is to use to a less powerful, but smaller 92mm cooler like the Arctic Freezer Pro 7 or Coolermaster TX3.

Thanks! I'm a little intimidated by the water cooling solution as this is my first build. Do the smaller air coolers have better clearance from the motherboard, because that's where I'm most concerned. When I looked at low profile solutions, they seemed snug on the board... overall height of the cooler shouldn't be a problem except in the most extreme situations.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
September 1, 2010 4:42:02 PM

The factory sealed liquid coolers are actually easier to use than air coolers. They are already filled with liquid and the tubes are permanently sealed. You never have to mess with anything. Just mount the CPU block on the CPU and mount the radiator on an external vent or in place of a rear or top exhaust fan.

If you mount most air coolers blowing front to back, the fins stay in line with the CPU and the fan is the only thing that could affect the RAM. Sticking with a narrower 25mm wide fan should keep you safe, especially if you put the ram in the red slots on the motherboard. Look at the side picture of this kingwin (which has the AM3 clips for this alignment as you can see) and see how little past the cpu base the fan extends?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
m
l
September 1, 2010 4:55:05 PM

dndhatcher said:
The factory sealed liquid coolers are actually easier to use than air coolers. They are already filled with liquid and the tubes are permanently sealed. You never have to mess with anything. Just mount the CPU block on the CPU and mount the radiator on an external vent or in place of a rear or top exhaust fan.

If you mount most air coolers blowing front to back, the fins stay in line with the CPU and the fan is the only thing that could affect the RAM. Sticking with a narrower 25mm wide fan should keep you safe, especially if you put the ram in the red slots on the motherboard. Look at the side picture of this kingwin (which has the AM3 clips for this alignment as you can see) and see how little past the cpu base the fan extends?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Thanks! Everything else for my system just came a few hours ago, so I'm getting a better feel for space issues. I'm definitely checking out the 25mm fans you suggested. I appreciate the responses!
m
l