Sign in with
Your question

AMD and Nvidia

Last response: in CPUs
November 20, 2010 9:19:26 PM

Hello,
I've been asking tons of questions lately on cpus and gpu's and i seem to be getting nowhere fast lol. I plan on buying a rig(either building it myself or having someone else do it.. not sure yet) in late january and I know i want to use the GTX 580 (i like Nvidia's UI and PhysX). I've been finding equal amounts of people saying the Intel 760 is the best Price vs Performance, and that the AMD 955 BE is the best price vs performance, I plan on using this computer for gaming( no video editing and the like). I hate to keep posting similar threads and the like but im just going to list my questions here (some may not be directly CPU related but ill try to keep most of them that way):

1. Does anyone know a place or person where i can ask these quick questions without posting a thread.
2. Is there any basis on people saying Intels work better with Nvidia.
3. Does the i5-760 Support Hyper-Transport.
4. I've wikipedia'd HTT but i dont get what it means for GPU performance, can anyone explain in lehman?
5. The i5 is a 2.8ghz and the 955 is 3.2, What makes the i5 faster?
6. For the EVGA Geforce 580 Hydro Copper 2, Do you need to buy a fan for it or does the water cooling have one built in?
7. If i plan on OC'ing, should i go for water cooling or air? I planned on a Hyper 212.
8. Do the Nvidia Mobo's for AMD's work better with an Nvidia GPU or does it matter?

Thanks for you all's time and sorry for any inconvience.

More about : amd nvidia

a b à CPUs
November 20, 2010 9:28:09 PM

Water cooling is a very disputed subject..If you know how to install and how to maIntain it then I think it would be ok..But remember GTX580's average temp range would be 120c..That is a very expensive and unneccesary card..If you do plan to go ahead with it make sure you get a suitable mobo..
AMD has only uses HyperTransport technology..Intel uses QPI.
I5 structures and allocate tasks brilliantly..In other words technology is more resourceful when it comes to architecture.
You better post all your questions at once..In that way we can help you much more quicker..
m
l
November 20, 2010 9:35:22 PM

I planned on the 580 so i could avoid the SLI and Xfire issue despite the chipset i chose, is there another single card i could get and play most games on relatively high settings or should i suck it up with SLI or Xfire?
m
l
Related resources
a b à CPUs
November 20, 2010 9:39:21 PM

I think you shouldnt go for such a high end card provided you have good water cooling provided you do very heavy video editing..Even if you did buy 580..Most games can play max settings at even a gtx450 or ati 4770..
m
l
a b à CPUs
November 20, 2010 9:44:09 PM

AMD Motherboards and CPU's work fine with GeForce and nVidia chipsets for AMD are great and there is no basis for Intel and nVidia I prefer air because it's easy and cheap and the GTX 580 is the fastest GPU you can get.
m
l
November 20, 2010 9:46:37 PM

The oc'd EVGA 580 comes with water cooling, Ive heard rumors of a GTX 560 coming soon as well? Would that be an upgraded 460 or does noone know yet?
m
l
a b à CPUs
November 20, 2010 9:55:02 PM

The 500 series is just an architecture revise/improvement of the original Fermi and a 560 would be more powerful then a 460 and the GTX 580's reference cooler is a hybrid water cooler that has a fan, it employs more of what a heat pipe does so it's not exactly water cooling.
m
l
November 20, 2010 9:58:42 PM

Are there any planned release dates on the 560?
m
l
November 20, 2010 10:17:17 PM

answer to question three nulls out question four, however, does hyper-transport somehow improve gaming? Im just trying to understand why some people care that the i5 doesnt have it.
m
l
a b à CPUs
November 20, 2010 10:39:57 PM

sahall91 said:
Hello,
I've been asking tons of questions lately on cpus and gpu's and i seem to be getting nowhere fast lol. I plan on buying a rig(either building it myself or having someone else do it.. not sure yet) in late january and I know i want to use the GTX 580 (i like Nvidia's UI and PhysX). I've been finding equal amounts of people saying the Intel 760 is the best Price vs Performance, and that the AMD 955 BE is the best price vs performance, I plan on using this computer for gaming( no video editing and the like). I hate to keep posting similar threads and the like but im just going to list my questions here (some may not be directly CPU related but ill try to keep most of them that way):

1. Does anyone know a place or person where i can ask these quick questions without posting a thread.
2. Is there any basis on people saying Intels work better with Nvidia.
3. Does the i5-760 Support Hyper-Transport.
4. I've wikipedia'd HTT but i dont get what it means for GPU performance, can anyone explain in lehman?
5. The i5 is a 2.8ghz and the 955 is 3.2, What makes the i5 faster?
6. For the EVGA Geforce 580 Hydro Copper 2, Do you need to buy a fan for it or does the water cooling have one built in?
7. If i plan on OC'ing, should i go for water cooling or air? I planned on a Hyper 212.
8. Do the Nvidia Mobo's for AMD's work better with an Nvidia GPU or does it matter?

Thanks for you all's time and sorry for any inconvience.

1. Posting a thread is probably the fastest way to get a question answered.
2. Not really.
3. Hyper Transport is to AMD as FSB is to Intel. The i5-7xx has no Hyper Threading however.
4. I think what you were thinking was Hyper Threading. This currently has little to no benefit for games. Hyper Threading is the use of virtual cores doubling the core count (so a quad core would have 8 threads in all with Hyper Threading enabled), allowing your PC to fully utilize the 4 cores (in 4core+ optimized programs).
5. When you compare 2 CPUs from different archs there are many factors other than clock speed. The arch may simply be better per clock, or per factor.
6. The point of water cooling to my knowledge is to be fan-less. :) 
7. These chips get pretty decent overclocks on air. Water is nice if you can afford it (not very good price/performance of course), but you won't need it unless you are really wanting to push your parts to the limit.
8. The only difference in any card/cpu mixing to my knowledge is AMD is supposed to work a little better with ATI, but it is nothing too significant.
m
l
a b à CPUs
November 20, 2010 11:57:32 PM

1. Nope, but forums are the place to post questions and have them answered :) .
2. It depends on hardware, expectations, and people. I personally don't know.
3. Hyper-Transport?...I think you mean Hyperthreading. I don't think the i5 has it, but I am not sure, I know the 750 doesnt.
4. By HTT do you mean Hyper-Threading?..It doesn't have much to do with the GPU, it basically allows one core to run two threads which can improve performance in some cases, but it rarely and most likley doesn't hurt performance ever, it can only help. It makes your OS think you have 8 cores on a Quad-core CPU.
5. Its just a different hardware, different chip. Why does a Nissan Ultimate give you 270hp with a 6-Cylinder engine while a Porshe GTS R2(i think) give you 620hp with a 6 Cylinder engine...its different, simple as that.
6. IDK
7. Depends how much you want to overclock and what kind of air cooling.
8. IDK
m
l
!