Sign in with
Your question

Antec Dark Fleet DF-85 or Lanboy Air for x3 SLI?

Last response: in Components
November 20, 2010 10:41:52 PM

I need a bigger case and trying to decide between the Antec Dark Fleet DF-85 or the Lanboy air for 3 GTX 480's

Any Suggestions on these 2 cases?
November 20, 2010 11:18:42 PM

Well the LanBoy is horribly ugly and with all those mesh panels your going to have a loud and dusty computer, 5 120mm fans is nice though. The Antec is quite a bit nicer looking and I know it will have great build quality as I own Antec cases, it is sealed and has dust filters along with alot of fans: 5 - 120mm variable speed fans.

Hands down, no contest, the Antec is the better of the two.
November 20, 2010 11:37:07 PM

IDK about you but when I buy a case, I search for a case that fullfills the job of a computer case aka, housing all your components and provide sufficient cooling for the parts. Looking good isn't going to help cool the components lol but if you have money then go ahead. My HAF 932 is the ugliest damn thing, looks like a box, but it cools my parts :) . If you want more cooling...its the Lanboy, if you want a bit less cooling but a good and mean looking case....its the darkfleet, which still has amazing cooling. Lanboy's cooling might just be a little over kill and as thecheif said, its mess structure will get incredibly dust as its almost impossibly to control any kind of positive air pressure within a case thats basically open. OH and it will be loud since there is no walls, its just mesh.
Related resources
November 20, 2010 11:51:27 PM

Good point about the air pressure with the lanboy, your fans will be just blowing at stuff with no proper flow of air, to me that is a deal breaker in itself, but condsidering all the other negatives like dust, noise, and aesthetics, its 100% no on that case.

With the Antec, it will have proper aire pressure and flow, Cool in and hot out.

When I look for a case it has to do everything, fit the parts, cool them, keep dust out, quiter the better, AND look good. If it cant meet those criteria they dont get my $, its that simple.
November 21, 2010 4:37:41 AM

@ blackhawk, i have a haf 922 and did do some research but could not find anything on the Lanboy but the Antec Darkfleet was the second case to run the coolest. I do not really care about looks but I do need 4 fans blowing right on my GTX 480's

The HAF 932 or X was around 5 degrees hotter.
November 21, 2010 7:33:45 AM

all are null points as the lanboy is a smaller case which will fit the cards but there will be absolutely zero space to do any adjustments once its done. you will have only 2 fans blowing on gpus.

having owned a lanboy for a month now i can confirm antec knows what they are talking about and the moron above is talking out of his you know what. dust settles outside of the case not inside. positive air pressure works and works better then negative air pressure. noise is not an issue as the lanboy is advertised as being loud due to the fans needed to create positive pressure.
November 21, 2010 8:33:52 AM

justmoe said:
all are null points as the lanboy is a smaller case which will fit the cards but there will be absolutely zero space to do any adjustments once its done. you will have only 2 fans blowing on gpus.

having owned a lanboy for a month now i can confirm antec knows what they are talking about and the moron above is talking out of his you know what. dust settles outside of the case not inside. positive air pressure works and works better then negative air pressure. noise is not an issue as the lanboy is advertised as being loud due to the fans needed to create positive pressure.

Just a quick question for you; not sure what your system specs are but...

If i put my third GTX 480 at the bottom of my board, how much clearance would you say between the PSU and a GTX 480? In my HAF 922, my bottom GTX 480 was around 2 inches from the PSU (PSU facing down of course) it was not enough clearance for me to feel confortable considering the GTX 480 was heating up the chasis of my PSU making it hot as Hell!
November 21, 2010 12:31:29 PM

justmoe said:
having owned a lanboy for a month now i can confirm antec knows what they are talking about and the moron above is talking out of his you know what. dust settles outside of the case not inside.

What is the point of attacking me or blackhawk1928 like that? What does it achive? All I was doing is trying to give the best information to the OP that I could offer and you have to make comments like that? I would never buy such a case and I was giving him my opinions as to why, as the OP asked "Any Suggestions on these 2 cases?" Just becuase you own the lanboy dosent mean you have to get offended by our criticism of the case, you chose it for your own reasons, I am not holding that against you.

And why do you refer to the abilities of Antec, I never said that they were lacking ability, I own an Antec Case and PSU!, I was just criticizing the design of that particular case. And you cannot tell me it wont get dust in it, unless the lanboy has dust filters which are not listed on Antec's product page, if theres positive air pressure, air is going in so must the dust.

Next time get your thoughts strait, read the posts carfully, calm down, and then reply.
November 21, 2010 5:09:37 PM

justmoe said:

Now I can confirm that you don't know what you are talking about and you are the real moron here :) . Dust does settle inside of the case, so either you are blind, not paying attention, or are lying, or you are just trying to defend your purchase of the Lanboy. Secondly, noise isn't an issue to you, thats your opinion, not a fact. However, the lanboy is louder then a lot of other cases, and THATS a fact and I can back that up. Your claim can't be backed up so either you don't know what an opinion is or you are just being a little troll. Also do you know the difference between positive and negative air pressure in terms of what pro's and con's each has?
November 21, 2010 5:20:56 PM

solidnickel said:
I need a bigger case and trying to decide between the Antec Dark Fleet DF-85 or the Lanboy air for 3 GTX 480's

Any Suggestions on these 2 cases?

bit-tech has the dark fleet cooling slightly better then the 1200 and that case has fantastic air flow

http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/cases/2010/07/22/antec...

November 21, 2010 6:52:37 PM

solidnickel said:
The only problem with the DarkFleet is you can not point the PSU down

i've never had an issue with that set up before so it doesn't bother me as much as it does other people.
November 23, 2010 2:07:02 AM

I ordered the Antec Air Red edition based on a few things...

1. Great Reviews from solid sources
2. I can mount the PSU facing down unlike the darkfleet.

I have a Antec Skeleton and a Antec 900 on the other side of my office, both made out of a combination of plastic and medal but well built.

i will be back with my review next week...

The main objective is to give those 3 GTX 480's room to breath; lets hope that pans out.
December 4, 2010 5:58:49 AM

Finished the Antec Lanboy Air and I gotta say I am very impressed! This was one of the toughest builds I have ever done considering certain modifications I had to do to the case.

I bought a Silver Arrow and according to EVGA, the SLI x3 is not compatible. Good News! It barely fits and when I say fits, less then a mm. After resolving that issue, I ran into another problem; the Silver Arrow was too tall for the Lanboy so thats where the modification came in after some serious thinking.

I actually took the Lanboy's top plastic piece out and cut into half and moved the bigger half to the top of the case as seen in the images below...

Carefully cutting the edges to match, I can now remove the top piece by removing a few screws and easily access the heatsink and other components under the panel as seen below, the red fans are pre mounted and come off with the panel as well.

More images...

Temps are alot cooler then the Haf 922 and the Noise levels are perfect! If Antec would have made the top panel removable from the get go; this case would have been perfect out of the box. You can perfect it by doing what I did above but it will take you alot of time and patience

My 3 GTX 480's do not rise above 65 degrees in 90 percent of my games unless i am playing Crysis where the temps do not exceed 78 degrees.

For a Mid Tower, I give this case a A- only because I had to mod the top of the case for my Silver Arrow to fit. See you guys online!
December 4, 2010 6:12:54 AM

^ That is quite possibly the ugliest case i've ever seen! Judgement aside, you've got some great cooling for those GTX480's, can you give us more info on the noise? For instance, how far away do you sit for it to be bearable...?
December 4, 2010 1:13:35 PM

anacandor said:
^ That is quite possibly the ugliest case i've ever seen! Judgement aside, you've got some great cooling for those GTX480's, can you give us more info on the noise? For instance, how far away do you sit for it to be bearable...?

The case is 2 feet away on the floor to my left and even with all those fans, the case is silent until the GTX 480's kick in and the case still manages to best my older HAF 922! The mesh on the HAF causes fans @ 2000 rpm to scream, CoolerMaster really needs to change their mesh. As for the Antec mesh; you can not hear them.

This case looks better then the HAF in real life IMO; pictures do not do this thing justice. A side note, the cut on that top panel looks factory and thats what you really want, one screw up on that cut and say good bye to perfection!

FYI, Fans on top do not light up and I have various tones in lighting that make the case look bad a$$ in person, unique is a good thing IMO
December 4, 2010 5:31:12 PM

That case looks pretty serious about cooling :) . And whoever said the case is ugly...its a case LOL, if cools your components and does what you need, why does it matter, its not a car, just a computer case.
!