Why not upgrade???

sardonicjester

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2011

From my understanding: you can only upgrade from a VALID/LEGITIMATE copy of Windows. Some people may not have a full or valid copy (I know a lot of people with pirated versions). Also for new builds you cannot just "upgrade" from nothing.

(There are obviously many, not as legal, ways to get around this though. So honestly I don't know why anyone, who has access to google, would purchase a full version)

sardonicjester

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2011

There are easy ways around this. They just aren't technically legal. If you google it, there are step by step tutorials on how to take advantage of the system.

As long as you have a version of Vista (with the most recent Service Pack) you can upgrade. Even without a product key. But this means you would have to get the service packs on your system without doing a windows update.

(and I will stop there, you can google the rest for yourself)

ram1009

Distinguished

That's what I thought. I'm aware that there are a few people who must use a full version for one reason or another but it seems to me like it should be a small minority, something like 10% or 15%. I just want to be sure there isn't some GOTCHA waiting in the Microsoft weeds for me.

ram1009

Distinguished

Are you sure about that? I read a post recently claiming that W7 upgrade was not like past OSs where you could insert a disk during the clean install to verify compliance with the previous OS requirement. Rather, the "upgrade" would only install if the old OS were present on the HDD.

sardonicjester

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2011
^ I do not think you can insert a disk, during install, to verify compliance. I am pretty positive that you must have the "compliant" OS already on your system.

From there, you have the option to do a clean install (for XP and Vista) or an "upgrade" install (Vista only)

caqde

Distinguished
To comply with the license you need a OEM, Retail, or Upgrade (From an OEM/Retail/ or Upgrade (rinse and repeat)) version of XP or Vista that is not being used on Another System. The upgrade license should comply with the OEM or Retail license terms meaning if you upgrade from an OEM you are still tied to the motherboard that you used to build that computer with meaning no motherboard upgrades from an OEM copy only replacements using the same model board.

Installing an upgrade only requires that the disk be able to see a copy of Windows (XP, Vista, or even 7) on any one of the drives not necessarily the drive that it is being installed onto and you are allowed to use either upgrade or clean install options when installing Windows using an upgrade disk.

Given this the reason someone would want a Retail disk is to have a license that is NOT tied to the motherboard of their computer when they go to upgrade from one system to another. Basically if you buy retail when you sell of your parts you will be able to keep the OS for yourself legally. If you had an OEM copy that OS would legally be tied to the motherboard that you would be selling it would not be yours as it would belong to the hardware that it was first installed onto.

joedastudd

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2007
I pre-ordered the Full version before release and it actually worked out the same price as the upgrade version.

As for retail vs OEM, tbh there is no reason to go retail (without they are the same price).
Yes its supposed to be locked to the motherboard and other parts, but if you do upgrade your motherboard or entire system 9/10 its as simple to activate.
You just might end up ringing an automated line, on the 1 in 10 times you get put through to a Indian guy. At which point you just say your doing an upgrade or the old motherboard died.
They give you the activation codes and viola you now have the OEM version on an upgraded or rebuild computer.

ram1009

Distinguished

"Given this the reason someone would want a Retail disk is to have a license that is NOT tied to the motherboard of their computer when they go to upgrade from one system to another.

If I'm understanding what you're saying, this statement is only true if the OS you're upgrading from is an OEM rather than a retail version. The ads for the upgrade versions of W7 that I've seen don't say if they are OEM or retail so I assume they adopt the identity of the OS they are replacing. Since I've used my XP Pro disk on more than one box I believe it's a retail version and therefore there is no reason I can see to buy anything but an upgrade version.

ram1009

Distinguished

I'm sure your post reflects your personal experiences however I prefer to NOT be at the mercy of the then current temperament of the "Indian guy". With my luck he'll blackball me from Microsoft forever. Might be a blessing in disguise. :D