Failure start or get to POST

Archer01

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2001
So I've run into a problem. My computer which has been running fine for two years now has suddenly stopped working. I try to start it and it powers up for 5 to 10 seconds and then powers down for 3 to 5 seconds and then tries to power up again. It doesn't show anything and doesn't appear to be posting.

I've already done what you would normally do. I started by swapping power supplies. No luck. I stripped everything out of the system down to the memory mobo, proc and video card. No dice. I swapped the PCI-E video card for a PCI one. No change. I pulled all the memory modules and tried them one at a time. Nothing. I tried shorting the CMOS jumper. No change.

So I figure I've got a blown Mobo, no big deal. I order a new mobo. Put everything back together. Same damn problem.

So I figure, blown processor, and I get a new proc. I put it in the old mobo. Still have the same problem.

I finally put the new proc on in the new mobo and it all works......For now.

I can find no evidence of damage to the old proc or mobo and I find it hard to believe that they both just went belly up after two years. Particularly since I have my system on a good UPS.

Any ideas?

Is there anything I could try to get the old stuff working again either the Mobo or the Proc?

Old System
CPU: Core 2 Quad Q6600
Mobo: Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3R
Memory: 4GB OCZ DDR2 800 PC6400
HD: WD Raptor 150gb
GPU: AMD Radeon HD5770
PSU: Antec TruePower NeoHE 550w

New Stuff
CPU Core 2 Quad Q8400
Mobo: Gigabyte GA-EP43-UD3L

thechief73

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2010
Hi Archer01 , Welcome to THW.

I am sorry to hear you had so much trouble with your PC. I thought that this thread: "System won't boot" may help you out or at least help eliminate possibilities or maybe give you an idea of what the problem was. Seems to me thought your CPU gave out for whatever reason, did you have the chance to test the new CPU in the old Mobo? I guessing that was probably still OK.

Archer01

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2001

Yeah, Actually, I did try the new CPU in the old Mobo. I'm still having the same problem. The only combination that works is the new Proc with the new Mobo. I can only assume that the old Mobo and Proc went at the same time but I've never heard of that happening without some sign of physical damage.

thechief73

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2010
Well with the design of these parts and how extreamly complex they are, unless it was a catastrophic failure of the PSU which from what you said previouly it wasnt, really you are lucky if you can see any physical damage, but a PSU failure or some kind of short could have very well caused the initial damage to the CPU and Mobo and any attemp to replace the PSU to fix it after that as you have found out is fruitless.

Unless I missed it, you didn't try the old cpu in the new mobo. HOWEVER, before trying that, check the old cpu pins and look for signs of damage.

It would be odd that both the cpu and mobo went bad at the same time . . . though I suppose some kind of socket issue could have done it.

Archer01

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2001

I did try the old proc on the new mobo. I was hoping I'd just have to do a mobo swap. I was shocked when it didn't boot properly hence my trip here.

Archer01

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2001
Well, just so you know, I put everything on the bench again and did a lot of tinkering and this is what I discovered.

I set the system up with a known good PSU and PCI-E card and ran only one stick of memory. I didn't connect anything else except for the proc fan.

First I attached the pc speaker to the old mobo and put the old proc back in it. Not surprisingly it was still dead. The beep code was kind of interesting though. It beeped once like it had passed the Post fine and then took a pause about long enough to take a deep breath and then beeped again for about the same length of time maybe a little less. Then after a few more seconds it would power off. This happened every time I tried to start the board. I tried resting the CMOS without any success as well.

Second I put the new proc in the old mobo. Same exact thing as above. Also tried to clear CMOS without any luck.

Third I put the old proc in the new mobo. Previously this hadn't worked. Surprisingly this time it booted right up. This was with only one memory stick in it. When populated all four memory slots it failed to post again. So I reseated the memory and cleared the CMOS and suddenly everything was fine. So I think my previous fail with this combo was because of memory seating or contact issues.

I then switched back to my original PSU and everything continued to work fine. So the problem seems to have been in the old Mobo. So the old proc is good. Which makes me happy even though I wasted money on a new one.

I'm wondering if my old mobo's (Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3R) bios is corrupt. It's supposed to have Dual Bios. I've done a bit of looking does anybody know how to recover the bios using that? Does it even work if you can't boot?

Anyway, thought you'd like an update.

thechief73

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2010
Hi Archer01,

I am glad that you have found the problem and got your PC up and running again. As for the odd beeps your PC was making, those are to help you understand what is and is not working properly on your computer, if you do a little searching you can find a guid on this, a user on Tom's by the name "JCS" I belive has one around here, but I guess you dont need it anymore.

As for recovering a BIOS from a seemingly dead board that will not post, well I dont know much about that and can not really answer your question, but if it does have a dual BIOS, read your manual on how to switch over to the second BIOS, if you can do this manually by a switch or jumper on your motherboard you may be able to get it to boot up for you.

Anyways I am glad to hear you fixed your PC. :)