Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Wireless N 5 Ghz vs 2.4 Ghz range?

Last response: in Wireless Networking
July 14, 2010 1:12:21 AM

Spent the extra to get a true dual-band simultaneous Wireless N router (TEW 671-BR from TrendNet), and bought one of their dual-band USB adapters to ensure compatibility. I can get a good wireless N or G connection anywhere in the house at the 2.4 Ghz setting. But when at the 5 Ghz setting it appears the signal doesn't travel nearly as far. I had understood it had issues (part of the reason I gather 802.11a never caught on), but it seems odd that 10 feet can make such a huge difference between the two. So far I've ended up having to use the adapter on one of my computers that is closer to the router, but wondering if that "should" be the case?

More about : wireless ghz ghz range

July 14, 2010 3:42:53 AM

Well, the article you link to implies that I should do better with 5Ghz since there will be less interference (per your comment as well), however it does also say that the higher frequency doesn't travel as far - but without much specifics as to how much "shorter" you should reasonably expect. So I'm still not sure if what I am seeing is a result of an issue with 5GHz, or the products I'm using :D 
m
l
Related resources
July 14, 2010 3:09:23 PM

EwanG said:
Spent the extra to get a true dual-band simultaneous Wireless N router (TEW 671-BR from TrendNet), and bought one of their dual-band USB adapters to ensure compatibility. I can get a good wireless N or G connection anywhere in the house at the 2.4 Ghz setting. But when at the 5 Ghz setting it appears the signal doesn't travel nearly as far. I had understood it had issues (part of the reason I gather 802.11a never caught on), but it seems odd that 10 feet can make such a huge difference between the two. So far I've ended up having to use the adapter on one of my computers that is closer to the router, but wondering if that "should" be the case?

I would Look up online and see what Devices use the 5.0GHZ spectrum! Did you try using only the 5.0GHZ spectrum or do you use 2.4GHZ and 5.0GHZ simultaneously? Check in your router setting to see if enabled, 10feet seems like 802.11B Standard!
m
l
July 15, 2010 1:47:50 AM

Trust me, I've been through all this. As I've said, I do have it working just fine on a computer that is 30 feet away from the router, but one that is only 10 feet further can't get a strong enough signal to keep from dropping off. I've also tried it on my laptop with similar results. Have also updated the router with the latest firmware. So the question comes down to whether someone who has a different brand simultaneous dual-band router is seeing dramatically different results. If so, I'd like to hear about it!
m
l
July 15, 2010 2:27:12 AM

Last Thing I can think of is Have you accidently touched your anntennaes or someone help causing a static shock and damaging them?
m
l

Best solution

Anonymous
a b F Wireless
October 4, 2010 10:22:05 AM

Your range issue is one of the known downsides of the 5ghz spectrum and one of the (many) reasons that 802.11a never took off. Although 2.4ghz is crowded, it requires less power to reach a respectable range, the 5ghz spectrum, although clearer and with greater available 'space' it requires considerably more power to go greater distances.

I've set up a number of mixed mode networks, and will usually use 5ghz for very local distribution (same office/floor, no walls), and 2.4ghz for between floor work.

To be perfectly honest there is often no need to go to 5ghz for most of my clients, and the added expense/frustration is often not worth the effort.

If I speed is a real deal-breaker for you then go power-line to local routers. I had to do this for an old manor house (all stone construction) and it worked a charm. For the home though, I'd stick with 2.4ghz, and find the router with the best range or external aerial.

Hope this helps.
October 5, 2010 1:46:28 AM

Best answer selected by EwanG.
m
l
February 15, 2013 5:56:00 PM

EwanG said:
Trust me, I've been through all this. As I've said, I do have it working just fine on a computer that is 30 feet away from the router, but one that is only 10 feet further can't get a strong enough signal to keep from dropping off. I've also tried it on my laptop with similar results. Have also updated the router with the latest firmware. So the question comes down to whether someone who has a different brand simultaneous dual-band router is seeing dramatically different results. If so, I'd like to hear about it!

5ghz has a very short usefull range--ten feet is not an unlikely limit in a household or small office quarters. As you get beyond the threshold, the signal speed will rapidly decline.
m
l
!