Sign in with
Your question

New Mobo/CPU won't Boot

Last response: in Motherboards
July 17, 2011 2:09:40 PM

I posted this in Homebuilt but I am not sure what category is right..

I recently upgraded my mobo/cpu/ram. (This is my first time dealing with cpu's and motherboards btw)

I got the following parts:

i5-2500k @3.3
MSI p67A-GD55 motherboard
and 4Gb Microcenter ddr3 RAM clocked at 1333

I *think* I hooked everything up correctly. I could be horribly wrong. When I start up the system I get a screen that says:

"EFI Shell version 2.00 (4.640)
Current running mode 1.1.2
map: Cannot find map name.

Press ESC in 1 seconds to skip startup.nsh, any other key to continue.
Shell>_"

Note: it starts the count down at like 5 but stops at 1 even if I do not press any other button.

Again, I have never dealt with installing cpu/motherboard so I have no idea what this could mean. ALL help is GREATLY appreciated!

Thank you in advance!

More about : mobo cpu boot

July 17, 2011 2:46:16 PM

Ok, well, it was bc the HD was connected to the mobo and not the psu as well..

However, I still cannot get it to boot...

Is it because I am using m old HD? Do I need to wipe it and install a new OS onto it?
m
l
August 15, 2011 4:32:13 PM

I have the same problem with my new I7. Built from scratch because already had Hard drives and then find I may need Windows clean install. I think best bet is to buy Windows and another hard drive to install so I don't lose info on the old one.
m
l
August 15, 2011 4:40:09 PM

put in fresh Hard drive and reinstall windows (just make sure you are not using the old hdd in a different system with same windows key in use as that's illegal)
After installation you will need to call windows to get the key reactivated for the new motherboard then you can transfer files from the old HDD

If you don't need anything from old HDD, just wipe and start from fresh and do above reactivation code as it is matched up to the motherboard
m
l
!