Idle power consumtion

bv90andy

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2009
I don't know it this is the right place to ask this, sorry if I should have posted elsewhere.

So I was just wondering how much power my PC is using during idle(listening to music, reading news/forums). But I couldn't find a site where you just insert your parts and it gives you an approximation, like the ones that tell you the PSU you need.

My questions are: is there such a site? if not, is it just a mater of adding the numbers, and then, are there any hidden heavy power consuming chips in the PC that I wouldn't know about if I were to calculate the power consumption myself, like north bridge or something else? I have activated Cool'n'quiet.

Any help is appreciated.

MoBo: Asus M4A77T
Proc: Phenom ii x2 550
DDR3: 4GB (2x2GB) OCZ low voltage 1333Mhz
Graphics: Ati HD5750 by XFX
HDD: WD 500GB
PSU: 400W OCZ silent

Listening to music and some forum activity isnt perfectly idle.

Even idle, the graphics card is a big part of the power consumption. The rest of your PC is pretty consistent based on the CPU and any voltage increases from overclocking.

bv90andy

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2009
The thing that I really don't know is if the Thermal Design power for my cpu is 80W then how much does it consume on idle? Where can I find something like this out? is it 40W, is it 20W or is it 5W? an estimate is what I need.

I know my GPU is supposed to only take like 16W on idle.

bv90andy

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2009
thanks, I reached the same conclusion after looking at some articles, my pc must be using about 100W in idle. A bit high in my opinion compared to a notebook, I would have expected with all the Cool&quiet and reduced cpu ratio when idleing the power consumption to be somewhere very low, like 40W. Anyway, thanks.