Sign in with
Your question

Failed Motherboard

Last response: in Motherboards
July 17, 2011 3:45:05 PM

my motherboard has gone bang a skyburg dsp45sg i think. So i think its time for an upgrade but i dont know if my retail windows 7 home will install on it i will be using the same HDD, or is a clean install required and if so will there be any activation issues im new to all this any info would be great

More about : failed motherboard

a c 95 V Motherboard
July 18, 2011 12:12:52 AM

If you have the retail version of Windows, then you will have no problems with installing it on another motherboard. Just uninstall it from the old one first (if you can).

Retail ---> May be transferred to a different computer + tech support from Microsoft
(should be running only on one system at a time).

OEM ---> May not be transferred to a different computer - no support from Microsoft
July 19, 2011 5:42:31 AM

Ubrales said:
If you have the retail version of Windows, then you will have no problems with installing it on another motherboard. Just uninstall it from the old one first (if you can).

Retail ---> May be transferred to a different computer + tech support from Microsoft
(should be running only on one system at a time).

OEM ---> May not be transferred to a different computer - no support from Microsoft

i cant get it to boot so uninstalling it might be a problem unless ther is another way
a c 95 V Motherboard
July 19, 2011 7:41:00 PM

swindlehurst said:
i cant get it to boot so uninstalling it might be a problem unless ther is another way

If you have the 'Retail' version, don't worry about it. It is ok as long as it is not active on 2 different computers at the same time.

If you have the OEM version, go ahead and install it on the new motherboard, and then call Microsoft's Activation line - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/950929

If you call them and explain your situation, they usually are gracious enough to help you, even though legally they are not obligated to do so per EULA.
!