Bios not recognzing cd or dvd IDE drive

Slayertex6

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2010
Hello,
My bios doesn't see my cd or dvd drive. I happened to unplug it and now it won't recognize it. It was working fine until then. I put another drive in and it stil does the same thing. Tried switching cable and all "Nothing". I recently put a floppy dive in and took it out. Maybe flashed my BIOS? Anybody have any suggestions?

thechief73

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2010
Hi Slayertex6,

Make sure that all your power cables are connected good and that the IDE ribbon cable is pushed all the way into your motherboard and drives.

Then make sure you have one set to slave and one to master:
08-optical-jumper.jpg

Then if that does not solve the issue, rest your bios to the default settings or clear the CMOS by removing the Mobo battery and following the instructions in the manual.

You can also re-flash your bios if you want to, just make sure to get the most up-to-date version and correct one for your Mobo.

If none of those solutions work for you, come back and let us know.

Also, remember, master should plug into the end of the cable, slave should plug into the center of the cable. Doesn't always matter, but that is the way you should do it. Some drive cables don't have a notch to make sure they plug in correctly, if that is your case, the red stripe on the cable goes to the side of the plug on the motherboard and drives with the #1 pin.