Is the thermal compound that comes with Xigmatek Thor's Hammer conductive (might

kyleguy298

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2010
I have a fried GA-X58-USB3

while TRYING to see the problem I think I also check the inside of the CPU socket, there was a small thermal compound in there but I didnt take it out and still tried to turn my board on. will it damage my processor (its the thermal paste that came with the xigmatek thors hammer)

before I even droped thermal compound there when I turned my board on it already sparked, is my processor dead?

I went to technicians and they said I think it was like a mosfet or something that prevented my processor from getting damaged. Im not confident that its alive even though they told me it MOST PROBABLY didnt die but just to be sure need your help

1 last thing they got to test my RAM but not the processor (ram was ok)

Based no my experience with frying motherboard that put on a 4th of July show...I would just get a new board. Have the guys at the shop test your CPU in another board that is compatible.

Remember: Put the CPU in an anti-static carrier when transporting it.

kyleguy298

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2010

i cant find any shop here in the philippines with an available x58 board

ahthurungnone

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2010
Go back to the beginning and don't assume it is some thermal paste (although this could cause a short).

When you turn the power on to the motherboard, what happens?

If nothing happens, disconnect everything (RAM, drives, video card, cpu heat sink, etc), everything except the cpu. Leave the power to the mobo and the cpu hooked up. Turn on! You should hear 3 beeps which means the mobo is working and doesn't recognize any RAM. If you don't hear 3 beeps, your mobo or cpu is junk.

kyleguy298

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2010

theres already a big piece of burnt material on my mobo so I KNOW its dead just dontknow about the CPU

the people there said since the ram didnt die the CPU is OK cause the short will pass the ram first before the CPU