Just recieved my Palit GTX 460 1GB

Status
Not open for further replies.

Griffolion

Distinguished
May 28, 2009
Hi all and Palit,

This is my first graphics card that hasn't been an XFX card. After much research i decided to go with Palit because they are dubbed as a very big time and reputable manufacturer. I have just had a look inside my new GTX 460's box and the card itself looks very nice and impressive, i like the fan which has recieved good comments from many reviewers. However i am a little disappointed with the lack of goodies that accompanied the card, unless i've missed a hidden compartment, all that came with the driver CD and a manual is a 2 molex to 1 six pin PCI-E connector (which any system builder worth their salt would never use anyway). It would have been nice to have gotten a few more goodies to sweeten the deal, Palit. When i install the card and get it running i'll update the review.

Timop

Distinguished
EDIT: Might want to add a VRM haetsink.

BTW. What else do you expect from a video card box? Besides maybe a Mini-HDMI adapter that's pretty much the standard GPU packaging.

palitusa

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2010

In case you didn't know we do not ADD the VRM heatsink. Other manufactuerers don't even have them. It was on one review that was a engineer sample.

Yeah we spend most of our cost to design the card and make the component more durable rather than putting extra stuff inside. But we do offer free games and such from time to time.

Timop

Distinguished
Post edited.

Considering the review, I don't see the reason not to add one. Dropping 5C on load is impressive.

ES aside, if it works pretty good, why not have both more durable parts AND put extra stuff inside?

Since "Other manufactuerers don't even have them" isnt this proving that you guys are the"Pioneer And Leader In Technologies"?

Just my 2 cents.

palitusa

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2010
Timop,

The card did not need it in the first place. We were testing out some of the stuff with the card. We did prove we are "Pioneer And Leader In Technologies" Our GTX 460 Sonic Platinum has clock over 925mhz+ without issue.

If heatsink was 2 cent then all manufacturer should add them. Unfortunately they do not cost 2 cent. :) Can you provide the facts that they cost 2 cents? I would gladly send that fact to our HQ.

Thanks.

Timop

Distinguished
Lol, "Just my 2 cents" is just a way of saying "Its just my opinion".

But If this is what you have to do to keep costs reasonable yet not cutting into more important designs like the main heatsink/fan I'll say its fair. Not denying it, the GTX 460 Sonic Platinum is an very impressive product indeed.

ewood

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2009

hahaha he said "just my 2 cents" and you thought he was saying the heatsinks only cost 2 cents...

palitusa

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2010
I know. I was throwing that in as fact because people will say how come they don't just throw them in.

We do have heat-pipes on our Sonic Platinum but our concern was there was no need for heatsink VRM.

It was a good Exploit that our competitors found but because of that little thing that people stop buying Palit would be absurd.

What if it was EVGA or Asus who didn't have heatink VRM ?(which they don't) How would people react?

Timop

Distinguished

If EVGA/ASUS did the same thing, there's definitely gonna be people talking and complaining, its not just you guys.

Besides, VRM heatsinks are just little pieces of Aluminum that costs like 50 cents to make.

palitusa

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2010
Here are the results comparing with and without heatsink VRM.

http://www.guru3d.com/news/updated-palit-gtx-460-sonic-platinum-results/

Timop

Distinguished

I know, but its still not like "see, you cant see a difference"

Never said its was a bad product, regardless of the VRM heat-sink, just that it could be better.
People do spend hours lapping their heatsinks for a 3-5C decrease..

notty22

Distinguished
Imo, if you had 5 more retail samples, you would have some test , the same, better and maybe worse. Some chips will run slightly hotter or have their heatsinks perform a little worse. Could even come down to the base finish of a particular sample ? It would have looked super suspicious if the retail sample WITHOUT vrm heat sink tested cooler, but imo its possible.

For the extra cost in manufacture and production (which would ultimately be passed on to the end user) the "difference" is somewhere between pointless and insignificant though, a bit like lapping your CPU is if you ask me.

What needs to be remembered here is that they released a card to market that was not like the one in the review linked because the one in the review has the new Bios.
That's the Bios that PALIT had to rush out because people were complaining about the heat and noise levels. The old Bios, that's the one all the cards shipped before the issue was highlighted will still be running hotter and with more noise. It was reported that the fan was running at 50/55 by default on the old bios while it runs at 40 on the new one.
There are going to be plenty of people who are not happy to flash a Bios as well. Can they send back the cards and get the newer Bios flashed version sent back to them, with free shipping obviously as this is a PALIT mistake ?

I wonder how many review sites accidentally got the wrong card ?

Palitusa came on these boards telling us how they were a top tier organisation and how good this and that was, well mistake it may have been but that's the difference between being truly Blue chip and just wanting to be.
Just in case you are not familiar with the term Blue chip

What Does Blue Chip Mean?
A nationally recognized, well-established and financially sound company. Blue chips generally sell high-quality, widely accepted products and services.

Mactronix

Timop

Distinguished

Thats why I said earlier in the post
"But If this is what you have to do to keep costs reasonable yet not cutting into more important designs like the main heatsink/fan I'll say its fair. Not denying it, the GTX 460 Sonic Platinum is an very impressive product indeed. "

But Mr. Palit keeps on explaining how "The card did not need it in the first place" and how "It was a good Exploit that our competitors found but because of that little thing that people stop buying Palit would be absurd. " and threw out numbers..

Which seems to prove the point that heatsinks on the VRM's are not necessary and yet you still felt the need to comment on how there was a "difference", which there is but it's not one that actually matters is it?

@ Palitusa,
Nice try at changing the subject there :)
Can you please answer this question i posted earlier? It was in the middle of the text so easy to miss i guess.

There are going to be plenty of people who are not happy to flash a Bios as well. Can they send back the cards and get the newer Bios flashed version sent back to them, with free shipping obviously as this is a PALIT mistake ?

Mactronix

Timop

Distinguished

5c is still 5c no matter how you put it.

Whatever, no point having an endless conversation about a piece of alummnium :pt1cable:.

Exactly and as this thread seems to be turning into another "let's argue with the Palit rep" thread the OP is going to have to start a new one.

palitusa

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2010

I check with our Engineers and have not heard of this problem. Without this new Bios, does that mean the card does not work?

Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS