13 MBPS connection cut down to 5 with router

booseek

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2010
Windows XP 32-bit, SP3

I've been using a wireless router, the Belkin F5D7231-4, to connect to my computer via ethernet and to my brother's laptop via wireless. I understand that wireless connections normally offer worse performance, but the router is plugged in through a cable to my own computer.

At a low-traffic time during the day, I reach 13.16 MBPS down/2.07 MBPS up when plugged directly from my modem to my computer. At the same time during the day, I get between 5 and 6 MBPS down/<2 MBPS up when plugged in through my router. I use Optimum Online in New York--the promised speed is 15 MBPS. 13 is not much worse, but 5 is not really acceptable performance...

Can this be an issue with my router or do all routers provide this kind of comparatively poor performance?

Solution
Your listed model seems to be VERY old.

It does require processing power to translate and track connections on a NAT. A slower CPU will limit your connection speed. I bet back when your NAT/router came out, 5mbit was crazy fast.

My Netgear 3700 is good for ~500mbit, so I won't need to replace until gigabit comes to my place.

lyleb

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2009
I had a similar problem with my Netgear router.
Only solution for me was to replace it with a model that had better throughput.
----
So I bought a FVS338 and sold my FVS318 on ebay.
My connection is capped at 10Mbps but now I get the full 10Mbps :)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833122007&Tpk=fvs318

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833122148&Tpk=fvs338

You won't need one of those. I needed one because of VPN connections.
----
Google the problem and see if there is a source of information about your router's throughput.

Kewlx25

Distinguished
Your listed model seems to be VERY old.

It does require processing power to translate and track connections on a NAT. A slower CPU will limit your connection speed. I bet back when your NAT/router came out, 5mbit was crazy fast.

My Netgear 3700 is good for ~500mbit, so I won't need to replace until gigabit comes to my place.

Solution

booseek

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2010
Thank you for the replies.

My current router is able to do over 50 mbits I think, and my connection only allows up to 15, anyway. I just ordered a fairly well-rated ASUS router so I will see how that goes.