• Connection
  • Netbooks
  • Wireless Networking
Last response: in Wireless Networking
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
July 14, 2010 1:13:34 AM

Hello,

I have a problem with the wireless connection on my netbook. I have a Buffalo WBMRG-54 modem-router on a BT 8Mb ADSL connection.

The problem is the netbook can't find my routers SSID half the time, and it takes many attempts. It finds other networks nearby though although these vary as well. Even when it does find mine and connects it periodically loses the connection then I have to go through the same thing all over again.

As far as I can see the connection is set up correctly on the netbook.

I thought it may be the router but I have a PS3 which is also using wireless and it finds the access point every single time without fail and very rarely drops the connection (once every few months if that)

Any ideas? I can provide more info if needed.

Thanks.

More about : samsung nc130 netbook loses wireless connection

July 14, 2010 2:17:25 AM

I'm going to make some guesses here based on my experience. First, if you can check the settings the PS3 is using and compare them to the netbook. Second, make sure network identification and sharing is turned on in Windows Starter (I think that's what it's called). Third, make sure your firewall will let the netbook and router communicate. Fourth, open up the router admin application and check to make sure it's set to allow the netbook. When testing, set the netbook less than 3 meters from the router and in a clear line of sight.

I hope this helps. I had to go thru all this when my wife got her netbook.
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
July 14, 2010 4:44:21 PM

I'll give it a go, appreciate the help, thanks mate :)