Case Analog Audio Jacks not working

symbolsix

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2010
Hello, I just purchased a new CPU, mobo & memory pack to replace my old Core 2 Duo based system. Everything seems to be working fine, with one exception: the analog audio jacks on my case aren't working.
My setup is:

New components:
Intel i5-2500k CPU
Gigabyte z68X-ud3-b3 motherboard (Revision 1.0)
4gb GSkill Ripjaw series DDR3-1600 PC3-12800 RAM

Old stuff:
ATI Radeon 5850 video card
Seagate ST31000528AS 1TB 7200 RPM hard drive
KINGWIN|ABT-730MM 730W Power Supply

I have an old DVD drive, however, I'm embarrassed to say that I neglected to confirm that my new motherboard would support it, so it's not connected, nor is my second hard drive.

My problem is that the front panel audio jacks on my case don't recognize when I connect a device through them. I've tried both speakers and headphones, and Realtek HD Audio Manager just doesn't notice a connection in either the audio out or the mic in jack. I don't want to RMA the motherboard, so if the problem is limited to the case audio jacks and not indicative of a more subtle issue, I'll just go find a USB headset & mic combination somewhere, but I'm hoping there's an easy fix I've missed. Solutions I've already tried are:

1) Checking all connections from the mobo to the case. In particular, the cable labeled "Audio" is seated and oriented correctly, though I double checked everything that's plugged in south of the graphics card. It all seems fine, except for the reset button connection which I purposefully left out, and had left out in my previous motherboard, as well.
2) Installing all drivers for my motherboard. Since I don't have a compatible DVD drive, I got them here. Everything seemed to install okay, and when I noticed the audio problem, I downloaded that driver again, and installed a second time. I've restarted after every relevant step.
3) Changing the slot the memory's installed in, and running a memtest. I don't know why this would be related, but I'm doing it in the course of making sure everything works, so I figured I'd mention it. The memtest is at 88.6% coverage and still running (I'm posting this from my laptop).
4) Testing all the USB ports. Again, I'm just listing this for the sake of completeness. All USB ports are functioning, both case and back panel. Unfortunately, I don't have the means to test firewire, HDMI, or other ports.

I'm sorry for the long post; I tried to be as thorough as possible. Any fresh ideas would be appreciated; I think I'm heading to Best Buy (gag) tomorrow if these jacks don't start working.