2nd GTX 460 or i7 950

I am thinking about upgrading my computer on black friday and would like to know what would give me better performance.
I am thinking about either getting an intel i7 950 (quad core @ 3.06), or another EVGA GTX 460 Superclocked 1gb to run in SLI.
(i am wondering what would give me better performance without anything overclocked. But i am open to anything that would give me better performance for my money, if there is something that is better for around the price range of 300$)
My Specs:
4gb DDR3 RAM
1TB Harddrive
Intel i5 760 (quad core @ 2.8ghz)
EVGA GTX 460 Superclocked 1gb
Corsair 850 watt PSU
MSI P55-GD65 Motherboard
8 answers Last reply
More about tomshardware
  1. Go with another GTX 460.Because going from i5 760 to i7 950 won't give you a noticeable difference boost in games/apps(plus you can always OC your current CPU).But adding another GTX 470 will give you a significant boost in games.
  2. Maziar said:
    Go with another GTX 460.Because going from i5 760 to i7 950 won't give you a noticeable difference boost in games/apps(plus you can always OC your current CPU).But adding another GTX 470 will give you a significant boost in games.

+1

As Mazair said, Another GTX 460 will benefit you more than a core i7. ;)
  3. Thanks everyone :D
  4. Quote:
    the i5-760 should be able to handle GTX460 SLI without much bottleneck, like Maziar, upgrading to a i7-950 wont give u much gaming performance increase,

and upgrading to that CPU, will also require a motherboard change, which means more cash..................

Besides, it PhysX games, u can use the second card as a physX cards too
    * when u feel like it* :D

Not like PhysX does much for performance or much graphical gains anyways :p (at least to my knowlage that is)
  5. to be honest id probably sell the current gtx 460 and buy a gtx 580, or as malmental said possibly go for a nice 60 gb ocz vertex 2 and stick your OS and a couple of games on as youll tend to notice a bit better performance (mainly on loading screens, load and boot times) with the ssd
  6. Does a GTX 580 beat 2 GTX 460s in most things?
  7. signor said:
    to be honest id probably sell the current gtx 460 and buy a gtx 580, or as malmental said possibly go for a nice 60 gb ocz vertex 2 and stick your OS and a couple of games on as youll tend to notice a bit better performance (mainly on loading screens, load and boot times) with the ssd

Does a GTX 580 beat 2 GTX 460s in most things?
  8. Actually 2x GTX460's smoke a GTX 480.
    http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/geforce-gtx-460-sli-geforce-gtx-480,2694.html

Go with another 460 if your mobo and psu supports it. Im running an i5 and 650watt psu with no problem.
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs Gtx Performance Intel i7