Sign in with
Your question

Upgrading to a new gaming CPU

Last response: in CPUs
November 21, 2010 2:20:40 PM

Well I currently have a Athlon 64 X2 7750 Kuma 2.7 Ghz dual core processor. I am an avid gamer, and I need a new CPU to play the new games. What would be a better buy for my money, (Im young so I dont have much) which processor would be the best future proof one? I was currently thinking about the Athlon II X3 440 or the Athlon II X4 640, I have about max 100$ to spend and here is my current build

Windows 7 32-bit
XFX nvidia gts 250
AMD Athlon 64 X2 7750 Kuma 2.7GHz
500 gb 7200 rpm HD
4gb ddr2 RAM
650 watt earthwatts PSU
Gygabyte GA-MA770-UD3 am2+/am2 am3

More about : upgrading gaming cpu

a b à CPUs
November 21, 2010 2:39:11 PM

dont have to change..Your X2 shouldnt bottleneck you..Save money and buy some nice games to enjoy..But if you must buy then i suggest the X4 athlon..I have one right now and i am happy with it..I cant see any difference in gaming then having a phenom..
m
l
a b à CPUs
November 21, 2010 2:39:51 PM

szadeklord said:
Well I currently have a Athlon 64 X2 7750 Kuma 2.7 Ghz dual core processor. I am an avid gamer, and I need a new CPU to play the new games. What would be a better buy for my money, (Im young so I dont have much) which processor would be the best future proof one? I was currently thinking about the Athlon II X3 440 or the Athlon II X4 640

Well a few questions. :) 

First, what's your motherboard?

Second, What games are you playing?

Overall, I would say (if your motherboard supports the cpu's) that if it's:

older games, go for a fast Athlon II x3 cpu. Older games dont use the extra cores so faster speed will make more of a difference. (although i would recommend the 445 as it's slightly cheaper than the 440 right now http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...)

newer or a game not out yet, i would say get the Althon II x4.

Edit: Well you were filling out the info that i was about to ask as i was busy typing this one out :lol: 

Although what games are you playing? Some games are more dependent on cpu and others are on gpu.

Also new question, what is you monitor resolution.
m
l
Related resources
a b à CPUs
November 21, 2010 2:43:24 PM

Do games your games lag or take alot of time to load?if not then i really dont think you need to even think of upgrading..
m
l
November 21, 2010 2:49:32 PM

yeah i usually play older games at medium and newer ones at low, I play mostly new shooters such as MW2 (not anymore) Black Ops, New Vegas, and some strategy games such as Civ 5
m
l
a b à CPUs
November 21, 2010 2:51:06 PM

szadeklord said:
yeah i usually play older games at medium and newer ones at low, I play mostly new shooters such as MW2 (not anymore) Black Ops, New Vegas, and some strategy games such as Civ 5

And so your games lag?
m
l
November 21, 2010 2:54:23 PM

Quote:
And so your games lag?
Yeah a tad,

Basically what I am asking is would it really be worth the extra 25$ to spend on the x4 640 other than the x3 440?
m
l
a b à CPUs
November 21, 2010 3:01:53 PM

Yes an extra core would be much better..
m
l
November 21, 2010 3:04:07 PM

ok well thanks problem solved, please close the thread unless someone else has something to say
m
l
a b à CPUs
November 21, 2010 3:05:17 PM

szadeklord said:
ok well thanks problem solved, please close the thread unless someone else has something to say

You close a thread after choosing a best answer..
m
l
a b à CPUs
November 21, 2010 3:05:55 PM

szadeklord said:

Well For civ 5, I know thats a heavily based cpu game, thats recommending a quad core cpu at 1.8Ghz.

For Black Ops, it seams really well balanced although it recommend an older Phenom I x 3 8750. So i maybe a little more cpu dependent.

Although for the rest, i do belive that those are more Gpu base games. So you may want to upgrade your gpu more than the cpu.
:??: 

m
l
a b à CPUs
November 21, 2010 3:08:25 PM

warmon6 said:
Well For civ 5, I know thats a heavily based cpu game, thats recommending a quad core cpu at 1.8Ghz.

For Black Ops, it seams really well balanced although it recommend an older Phenom I x 3 8750. So i maybe a little more cpu dependent.

Although for the rest, i do belive that those are more Gpu base games. So you may want to upgrade your gpu more than the cpu.
:??: 

Definitely
m
l
!