Upgrading to a new gaming CPU

Well I currently have a Athlon 64 X2 7750 Kuma 2.7 Ghz dual core processor. I am an avid gamer, and I need a new CPU to play the new games. What would be a better buy for my money, (Im young so I dont have much) which processor would be the best future proof one? I was currently thinking about the Athlon II X3 440 or the Athlon II X4 640, I have about max 100$ to spend and here is my current build

Windows 7 32-bit
XFX nvidia gts 250
AMD Athlon 64 X2 7750 Kuma 2.7GHz
500 gb 7200 rpm HD
4gb ddr2 RAM
650 watt earthwatts PSU
Gygabyte GA-MA770-UD3 am2+/am2 am3
11 answers Last reply
More about upgrading gaming
  1. dont have to change..Your X2 shouldnt bottleneck you..Save money and buy some nice games to enjoy..But if you must buy then i suggest the X4 athlon..I have one right now and i am happy with it..I cant see any difference in gaming then having a phenom..
  2. szadeklord said:
    Well I currently have a Athlon 64 X2 7750 Kuma 2.7 Ghz dual core processor. I am an avid gamer, and I need a new CPU to play the new games. What would be a better buy for my money, (Im young so I dont have much) which processor would be the best future proof one? I was currently thinking about the Athlon II X3 440 or the Athlon II X4 640

Well a few questions. :)

First, what's your motherboard?

Second, What games are you playing?

Overall, I would say (if your motherboard supports the cpu's) that if it's:

older games, go for a fast Athlon II x3 cpu. Older games dont use the extra cores so faster speed will make more of a difference. (although i would recommend the 445 as it's slightly cheaper than the 440 right now http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103872)

newer or a game not out yet, i would say get the Althon II x4.

Edit: Well you were filling out the info that i was about to ask as i was busy typing this one out :lol:

Although what games are you playing? Some games are more dependent on cpu and others are on gpu.

Also new question, what is you monitor resolution.
  3. Do games your games lag or take alot of time to load?if not then i really dont think you need to even think of upgrading..
  4. yeah i usually play older games at medium and newer ones at low, I play mostly new shooters such as MW2 (not anymore) Black Ops, New Vegas, and some strategy games such as Civ 5
  5. szadeklord said:
    yeah i usually play older games at medium and newer ones at low, I play mostly new shooters such as MW2 (not anymore) Black Ops, New Vegas, and some strategy games such as Civ 5

And so your games lag?
  6. Quote:
    And so your games lag?
    Yeah a tad,

Basically what I am asking is would it really be worth the extra 25$ to spend on the x4 640 other than the x3 440?
  7. Yes an extra core would be much better..
  8. ok well thanks problem solved, please close the thread unless someone else has something to say
  9. szadeklord said:
    ok well thanks problem solved, please close the thread unless someone else has something to say

You close a thread after choosing a best answer..
  10. szadeklord said:
    yeah i usually play older games at medium and newer ones at low, I play mostly new shooters such as MW2 (not anymore) Black Ops, New Vegas, and some strategy games such as Civ 5

Well For civ 5, I know thats a heavily based cpu game, thats recommending a quad core cpu at 1.8Ghz.

For Black Ops, it seams really well balanced although it recommend an older Phenom I x 3 8750. So i maybe a little more cpu dependent.

Although for the rest, i do belive that those are more Gpu base games. So you may want to upgrade your gpu more than the cpu.
    :??:
  11. warmon6 said:
    Well For civ 5, I know thats a heavily based cpu game, thats recommending a quad core cpu at 1.8Ghz.

For Black Ops, it seams really well balanced although it recommend an older Phenom I x 3 8750. So i maybe a little more cpu dependent.

Although for the rest, i do belive that those are more Gpu base games. So you may want to upgrade your gpu more than the cpu.
    :??:

Definitely
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs Processors Product