orestesdd

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2010
Well I am goiing to buy and build a new computer in a near future. Thus, I would appreciate any help from more experienced users. Here it goes:

APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE:2 or 3 months
BUDGET RANGE: $900.00 - $1100.00 USD
SYSTEM USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: Gaming, Movies, Photos, Java Programming, Music, Internet
PARTS NOT REQUIRED: Keyboard, Mouse
COUNTRY OF ORIGIN: USA
PARTS PREFERENCES: No preferences
OVERCLOCKING: Not sure
SLI OR CROSSFIRE: No
MONITOR RESOLUTION: 1920x1080 - Possibly this Samsung monitor

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS: I will buy most of the things from three sources: Newegg-dot-com, Amazon-dot-com, or a local Central Computer store in San Francisco. Most of the big items will be possibly bought through Amazon-dot-com.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 @ ~$140.00 USD --I will use the stock heatsink for this BUILD to save money.
GPU: Undecided - Either Radeon HD or NVIDIA GTX 460 or 470
M/B: Undecided - I don't know enough about AMD motherboards with AM3 socket to pick one
RAM: At least 4GB, but 6GB will be better--I know that this depends on MOBO
PSU: Undecided - I guess a 950W modular PSU will do, and possibly one from Cooler Master
CASE: CM Storm Sniper BE @ ~$140.00 USD
OS: Windows 7 Pro either OEM or FULL--I don't know if I should use an OEM since I plan to keep re-building/tinkering this PC in the future as money and time permit.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well that's mainly it. All recommendations are welcome.Thank you guys in advance.

Hi.

1- U post this in the wrong section.
2- If u want build the rig 6 months to 1 year, is better look for advice one or two weeks before purchase the components since the current components won't have the same price and will exist new one with better price/performance relation.
3- In 6 month or 1 year Bulldozer, Bobcat and Sandy bridge comes out to the market all are better technology so I'd wait for those before build a future rig now.
4- A 950W is overkill even if u only want a Crossfire or SLI with a 650W from a good manufacturer like Corsair, Antec, Seasonic or XFX is enough.

orestesdd

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2010

I already posted the same topic just pointing to this post and asking to have it moved to the appropriate section. Thanks.

orestesdd

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2010

I just changed my mind, and fixed the original post to say "2 or 3 months" instead.

BTW, a 950W may not be overkill if I plan to keep tinkering with this PC 10 months from now by adding either Crossfire or SLI and or changing motherboards or CPU when more money is available. I just want to build something which I can use in the immediate future and thus get the experience to tinker or build something better before I get too old to do it.

Another point here is that by the time those new technologies come out next year, I will not be able to afford them, and thus I will be at the same cross-road I am now. I am doing my research now, but those technologies will be out of the hands of most common people unless one has tons of money laying around or mommy or daddy can pay for those expensive new technologies. I do have to earn the money first, and after paying for my primary necessities if there is any money left, then I can buy my other needs or wants. Anyhow, thanks for your comments.

Ciao!