Your question

Advice re: video editing system build

Tags:
  • Homebuilt
  • Video Editing
  • Systems
Last response: in Systems
August 31, 2010 7:41:17 PM

Hey Everybody, been a while since I built a box, but the time has come and I need to build one for light home computing and some video editing. I NEVER do gaming as my PS3 takes care of that for me. I do need to capture, edit, compile and burn DVD's of our HS football team (coach). Nothing real fancy, I've been using a 6 year old system based on an ASUS P4P800 and aside from the speed it has worked great for me. With all that said I desperatly need your expert advice on what I've chosen (not purchased) so far. My budget is around a grand.
Here is the setup that I've come up with so far. Could you guys please give me some feedback/suggestions. Do I need a video card as well? Been a while since I've built a box.

1 GIGABYTE GA-890GPA-UD3H AM3 AMD 890GX SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 HDMI ATX AMD Motherboard
2 ASUS DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS Black SATA 24X DVD Burner - Bulk - OEM
1 Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 ST31500341AS 1.5TB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive
1 Rosewill RV2-700 700W ATX12V v2.3 / EPS12V SLI Ready Power Supply
1 CORSAIR XMS3 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model CMX4GX3M2A1600C9

I've got a full size ATX case (2), a dozen or so large HD's keyboards, mouse, etc. Any extra cables??

Thanx

More about : advice video editing system build

August 31, 2010 7:59:41 PM

I don't see a CPU on that list, were you looking for suggestions or did you just leave that part out? You also will not need a 700w power supply. Get a 500w-ish unit from Corsair, Seasonic, or Antec.

You won't need a video card, as that motherboard has a built in video chipset, and video cards play no role in editing than playback. You could buy a cheaper card if the playback is unsatisfactory.

Otherwise, it's looks pretty good to me.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
August 31, 2010 8:22:28 PM

Intel processors score better on video applications than AMD.

Some Video Editing Applications such as Corel Videostudio 3 use Cuda to boost their speed so a reasonably good NVIDIA card can help. A lot of applications are coming out with a focus on CUDA and the i7.

Get DDR 3 1333 MHZ RAM. Its cheaper and you will not make any gains with 1600 MHZ RAM. 4 GB is a good configuration.

Check out the software you want to to use and fit the machine to that.
m
l
August 31, 2010 8:33:33 PM

Sorry, I missed the processor post. I'm looking at the:
AMD Phenom II X6 1055T Thuban 2.8GHz Socket AM3 125W Six-Core Desktop Processor HDT55TFBGRBOX
Although through my research I see a lot on the Intel processors scoring better on video applications than AMD so I may be revising my build. Any other thoughts on the AMD vs. Intel as it relates to video editing? If I see a lot of hands for the i7 then that's the route I'll take.

I do use Corel Videostudio 3 so should I get a Cuda/Nvidia card?
m
l
!