Advice re: video editing system build

Hey Everybody, been a while since I built a box, but the time has come and I need to build one for light home computing and some video editing. I NEVER do gaming as my PS3 takes care of that for me. I do need to capture, edit, compile and burn DVD's of our HS football team (coach). Nothing real fancy, I've been using a 6 year old system based on an ASUS P4P800 and aside from the speed it has worked great for me. With all that said I desperatly need your expert advice on what I've chosen (not purchased) so far. My budget is around a grand.
Here is the setup that I've come up with so far. Could you guys please give me some feedback/suggestions. Do I need a video card as well? Been a while since I've built a box.

1 GIGABYTE GA-890GPA-UD3H AM3 AMD 890GX SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 HDMI ATX AMD Motherboard
2 ASUS DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS Black SATA 24X DVD Burner - Bulk - OEM
1 Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 ST31500341AS 1.5TB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive
1 Rosewill RV2-700 700W ATX12V v2.3 / EPS12V SLI Ready Power Supply
1 CORSAIR XMS3 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model CMX4GX3M2A1600C9

I've got a full size ATX case (2), a dozen or so large HD's keyboards, mouse, etc. Any extra cables??

Thanx
3 answers Last reply
More about advice video editing system build
  1. I don't see a CPU on that list, were you looking for suggestions or did you just leave that part out? You also will not need a 700w power supply. Get a 500w-ish unit from Corsair, Seasonic, or Antec.

You won't need a video card, as that motherboard has a built in video chipset, and video cards play no role in editing than playback. You could buy a cheaper card if the playback is unsatisfactory.

Otherwise, it's looks pretty good to me.
  2. Intel processors score better on video applications than AMD.

Some Video Editing Applications such as Corel Videostudio 3 use Cuda to boost their speed so a reasonably good NVIDIA card can help. A lot of applications are coming out with a focus on CUDA and the i7.

Get DDR 3 1333 MHZ RAM. Its cheaper and you will not make any gains with 1600 MHZ RAM. 4 GB is a good configuration.

Check out the software you want to to use and fit the machine to that.
  3. Sorry, I missed the processor post. I'm looking at the:
    AMD Phenom II X6 1055T Thuban 2.8GHz Socket AM3 125W Six-Core Desktop Processor HDT55TFBGRBOX
    Although through my research I see a lot on the Intel processors scoring better on video applications than AMD so I may be revising my build. Any other thoughts on the AMD vs. Intel as it relates to video editing? If I see a lot of hands for the i7 then that's the route I'll take.

I do use Corel Videostudio 3 so should I get a Cuda/Nvidia card?
Ask a new question

Read More

Homebuilt Video Editing Systems