cannot run CMD or REGEDIT from start menu NTVDM has encoun..

I believe I was infected by a virus not sure exactly which one but the
payload was winupdate which had my CPU at 100%. I was unable to start the
Taskmanager or run CMD or Regedit from the start menu. I started Regedit and
deleted all instances if winupdate, the Task manager now works but I still
cannot run Regedit or the CMD I get the following error
"The NTVDM CPU has encountered an illegal instruction. CS:014b IP:05cf OP:63
3a 5c77 69"
2 answers Last reply
More about cannot regedit start menu ntvdm encoun

    In news:u0XdXJFfFHA.3912@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl,
    Trevor Barrett <atb_1nf3@bellsouth.net> had this to say:

    > I believe I was infected by a virus not sure exactly which one but the
    > payload was winupdate which had my CPU at 100%. I was unable to start
    > the Taskmanager or run CMD or Regedit from the start menu. I started
    > Regedit and deleted all instances if winupdate, the Task manager now
    > works but I still cannot run Regedit or the CMD I get the following
    > error "The NTVDM CPU has encountered an illegal instruction. CS:014b
    > IP:05cf OP:63 3a 5c77 69"

    Do a more formal scan with some tools. Do the scans in safe mode without
    networking. Install, update, reboot, go to safe mode without networking,
    scan, clean, reboot, do a "light" scan just to see if that's resolved the
    problem. If a tool reports finding something that can't be cleaned then post
    back with the specifics and we'll see what we can find for you.

    Galen

    without them."

    Sherlock Holmes

    problem solved using Ad-Aware by Lavasoft! it check the registry and neatly
    packaged and quarantined the culprits and after deleting them I was in good
    standing. My only regret is not saving the log file of the scan to be able
    to see what happened

    > In news:u0XdXJFfFHA.3912@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl,
    > Trevor Barrett <atb_1nf3@bellsouth.net> had this to say:

    >> I believe I was infected by a virus not sure exactly which one but the
    >> payload was winupdate which had my CPU at 100%. I was unable to start
    >> the Taskmanager or run CMD or Regedit from the start menu. I started
    >> Regedit and deleted all instances if winupdate, the Task manager now
    >> works but I still cannot run Regedit or the CMD I get the following
    >> error "The NTVDM CPU has encountered an illegal instruction. CS:014b
    >> IP:05cf OP:63 3a 5c77 69"
    >
    > Do a more formal scan with some tools. Do the scans in safe mode without
    > networking. Install, update, reboot, go to safe mode without networking,
    > scan, clean, reboot, do a "light" scan just to see if that's resolved the
    > problem. If a tool reports finding something that can't be cleaned then
    > post back with the specifics and we'll see what we can find for you.
    >
    > Galen
    > --
    >
    > "But there are always some lunatics about. It would be a dull world
    > without them."
    >
    > Sherlock Holmes

Configuration Start Menu Regedit Command Prompt Windows XP