I7 950 vs. Phenom II X6 1090T for gaming

FireEagle

Distinguished
May 10, 2010
Hello all,

I'm sure you've had countless threads similar to this one, but I couldn't find one with the exact same comparison I was looking for, so I thank you for your patience :)

I am building a new computer, whose sole purpose for existing will be gaming - I'd like to play the latest games in their maximum graphical splendor.

That said, I am stuck between two cpus:
The Intel core i7 950
The AMD Phenom II X6 1090T

Which one is better for gaming? Also, I've heard that Intel is about to release a new line of Processors in 2011 (SandyBridge I think?) - and I was wondering if any of these would be better than the i7 950?

Thanks for the help!

FireEagle

Distinguished
May 10, 2010
I already have a GTX 280, so that really won't factor in. My old gaming computer died, and I'm building a new one and just re-using my gpu.

My old computer had a core 2 duo E8500, and would stutter in games like Crysis. I always assumed it was the cpu, so that's why I'm looking to upgrade.

ghnader hsmithot

Distinguished
You wont really see a major difference with a i7 and the games arent cpu oriented any way...CPU oriented stuff is like video encoding and heavy mathematical calculations...Why not change your gpu..But if you dont think so and want to spend money on an i7 let me remind you Sandy bridge is coming ..January 11 at CES

ghnader hsmithot

Distinguished
Farcry always get high reward with Intel Setup , but rest are almost higher than Intel i7 950 ! anyway cheak out the Site that i gave u , go to Bench then select CPU bench , then compare them by select them in Blanks !
Some games are more biased with one type of setup..Not all setup wins everything and benchmarks to say the least will be rigged with software that is much more preferable to one setup than another..

FireEagle

Distinguished
May 10, 2010
Is SandyBridge slot 1366 or 1156?

I've read that 1156 is on its way out, that intel does not intend to support it in the near future. Also, I've read that 1366 is better optimized to work with high end video cards and graphics processing in general. Any thoughts, comments?

thechief73

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2010
Hi FireEagle, If you want to know more about Sandy Bridge this is your best bet HERE. Yes it is Anandtech, and some people dont like them for whatever reason and others do, but in the end they usually have good information in gerneral.

In that review they have a Sandy Bridge i5-2400 @ 3.1GHz (its Hyperthreading was disabled and the TurboBoost was not the final release version) with regards to Win7 gaming performance(included in article I linked you to) the Sandy Bridge i5-2400 performed almost identically to if not on par with the Intel i7-980x Extream @ 3.33GHz. The thing to keep in mind is that the Sandy Bridge i5-2400 performance will be even better with its Hyperthreading enabled(maybe not so much in games) and the final version of its TurboBoost.

Guessed pricing for the Sandy Bridge i5-2400 ~$210. Sandy Bridge i7-2600 ~$350

thechief73

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2010
The on board GPU is there to give the average PC user, lets say your parents for an example(sorry if that does not work for you), more video power when web surfing and what not. You will most likely be able to disable this feature or it will work along side your GPU of chioce. The discreate video card market will always be here and you will always be able to use them if you chose.

thechief73

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2010

Intel socket 2011, in Q3 or Q4 next year.

March 1, 2011? Are you just joking around? That second part was funny: codenamed "money bags" :D But From what I have read SandyBridge is releasing the first weeks of Jan, 2011. at CES, on the socket 1155. Did I miss an announcement or get my info wrong?

You originally asked:
The answer to that question is unequivocal - the 950 is better for gaming. Period. End of story.

If your question were "which is the better value for gaming at (eg) 1920 resolution", the answer would likely be "neither is the best value". You need 6 cores for gaming like a fish needs a bicycle. You would be better off with an i5 750, or an AMD quad . . . better off meaning less money, almost as good performance as the 950.
Its quite possible that Sandy Bridge may either give better value, better performance, or both. ATM all we have is what Intel leaks . . . and that just isn't enough. But anyone making a significant investement today should wait and see.

You're welcome :) !

FireEagle

Distinguished
May 10, 2010
Thank you everyone for all the replies! After looking at benchmarks, I'm thinking Intel is the way to go. But since SandyBridge is right around the corner, I'll at least wait till then to see what new CPUs are served up and how they do against the i7 950. Thanks again!

thechief73

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2010
Hey, your welcome. I think that is your best idea.

@phoenixlight, SandyBridge mainstream CPU's are coming out ~Jan 9, at CES. The high end SandyBridge(socket 2011) will release in Q3 or Q4 of nest year. I am not suggesting the OP wait until then, only the January release less than two months away. :)