Xfx ati 4850 BSOD's

Lutfij

Titan
Hey there everyone!

Lets get to the point now, shall we?

I recently [purchased an xfx ati 4850 512MB DDR3 grafix card. After updating the drivers to the latest 10.6 or maybe the last one released.

its constantly showing physical dump error when i play PoP The Forgotten sands, Grid (the latter is set to 2xMSAA)

here are my specs:

Intel DG965RY
Intel E4300 @ stock
Transcend DDR2 2GB kit 800+Mhz over clocking modules
Thermaltake TR2 420W PSU
320GB WD HDD
Thermaltake Big Typhoon
Thermaltake Armor Jr. case
Windows 7 ultimate 32bit
Samsung P2250 @ 1920*1080

I've been scooping other forums but haven't gotten an answer...hope you experts can help

BTW its only during game play that this happens and if this should help - i swapped a xfx nvidia 7600GT for this. I didn't do a fresh install of OS, and i used the windows update utility to update the drivers. Worked fine until i updated to the latest catalyst drivers(from xfx's site)...seems like my GPU is stuttering at some points and it lags while loading.

Thanks in advance guys!

Solution

i run my rig in sig with Tt TR2 420w, same as urs. its two years old now. i can see the 12v rail droping voltage when i start gaming. and the psu starts drawing power. but mine don hang. but then again i run a 9600gt onli.

if u have 600w toughpower do try it out. 2yrs is better than 4. if its still working as it should do try it on.

if problem still persists, then its most likely the drivers. u can either try a clean installation of windows or u can use driver sweep. but since ur 7600gt is working fine, i putting mmoney on the psu error...

Lutfij

Titan
@ Maziar - i edited my post please read it :) Hope you can help me out bro!

Hers the reason to move onto the 4850:

The 7600GT , when used to play RaceDriver GRID would cause a whole system reboot. But for any older titles the 7600GT was ok

I have Right Mark CPU clock to monitor my cpu temps and i noticed on another rig with a 8600GT fatal1ty passive cooled edition that when the CPU reached 41'C it would result in a system reboot. I glued a fan onto the GPU heatsink and the problem is no more...could it be an overheating issue on my card???

If so, should i get an aftermarket cooler or....?

Lutfij

Titan
Idle - 48'C @ 67% fan speed
Load - (how do i find its temps when playing a game :p ?

um the room temps, i cant say :S but my cpu temps are:
Idle - 32'C
load (with PoP) - 40'C but its been around 38'C as far as i've seen

and if this helps, heres a pic of my card
ATI_4850.jpg

Lutfij

Titan
^ Should be coming close to 4 years. I can guess by now i should change the PSU. I'll swap it with my Thermaltake Toughpower 600W PSU but that is about 2 years old...will that hamper the GPU?

Does anyone else on this forum have the same view as Sarwar_r87?

sarwar_r87

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2008

i run my rig in sig with Tt TR2 420w, same as urs. its two years old now. i can see the 12v rail droping voltage when i start gaming. and the psu starts drawing power. but mine don hang. but then again i run a 9600gt onli.

if u have 600w toughpower do try it out. 2yrs is better than 4. if its still working as it should do try it on.

if problem still persists, then its most likely the drivers. u can either try a clean installation of windows or u can use driver sweep. but since ur 7600gt is working fine, i putting mmoney on the psu error.

also note that 4850 takes about 9.2 amp on psu (110w/12a). and since ur psu is rated at 10amp on second rail (from which ur pcie power is drawn) ur dangerously cuting close. and then its a 4yr old. im sure ur getting the pic :p

Solution