Sign in with
Your question

Computer freezing randomly

Last response: in Components
November 21, 2010 5:28:53 PM

Ive had this problem where my computer will freeze randomly, it can go days or weeks without freezing but sometimes it happens a few times in the same day. It will freeze when im playing games or just sitting here listening to music and browsing websites, like i said its random.

When it freezes it doesn't completely lock up, if im playing music in itunes the music will stop. When it happens i can still type in msn convos and talk on skype, but if i refresh my desktop or try and load up a program it just locks the desktop up completely and i get the blue circle (win7). After like 20 seconds or so my computer comes back and either freezes again 5-10 seconds later for another 20 seconds or it just works like normal.

I had the same problem on winxp but on that my music wouldn't stop it would stutter/loop.

What ive done:

Ive memtested my ram and it all seemed fine

My cpu and system temps are all fine according to AI Suite

I cant see it being my gcard since there are no visible errors

Ive formatted a couple of times since ive had this problem (1 year or so)

I think that only leaves my motherboard or psu thats the problem, Any ideas?

Thanks.
a b ) Power supply
November 21, 2010 5:38:36 PM

Whats your system?

Is it running at defaults, i.e. not overclocked.

Did you run memtest for 4hrs+

Try downloading and running OCCT for 1hr and Prime95 for 8hrs to test stability and see what your temps rise to.

Hope this helps.
November 21, 2010 6:05:03 PM

beanoslim said:
Whats your system?

Is it running at defaults, i.e. not overclocked.

Did you run memtest for 4hrs+

Try downloading and running OCCT for 1hr and Prime95 for 8hrs to test stability and see what your temps rise to.

Hope this helps.

Specs:

Asus P5B motherboard
Core 2 Duo E6600
Geforce 8800GT
Corsair 2x1gb 667mhz i think
Onboard sound

The most ive ran memtest for is like 20 minutes ;p and no its not overclocked.

Thanks for the reply.
a b ) Power supply
November 21, 2010 8:20:47 PM

Memtest will target any mem problems, some suggest it needs to be run for 10hrs+ to be sure so you could start there, even one error in that period could cause blue screens.

OCCT stresses the cpu and ram, also has a gpu and psu test.

3D Mark will target your ram and gpu.

I'd download and run OCCT for 1 hr, if it blue screens its likely a cpu or ram issue. You can also set it to monitor your temps while its running just to make sure your not overheating.

Try that 1st and if it fails you can then set about finding out which one is causing the problem.
!