Sign in with
Your question

Want to to upgrade > Intel 1156 / 1366 or AMD ?

Tags:
Last response: in CPUs
November 21, 2010 5:46:54 PM

Hello everybody,

Im at the point where i want to upgrade my PC again but since so many things have changed since my last upgrade i could use a little advice.
I upgrade my computer every 3-4 years and i build my own pc's (So i mailny upgrade the core components like CPU, Mobo and Memory)
Last time i upgraded was in 2006 and i got a new HDD for os (raptor) a new GPU and a new dvd burner so basicly atm i only want to upgrade my 3 core components (CPU, mobo and Ram)

My current pc has the following components:

CPU : Intel Core2Duo E6850 3,0 running @ 3,4 (zalman air cooler)
Mobo : Asus P5K (P35 chipset)
Memory : 4 Gigs DDR2 (4x1Gb cosair memory)
HDD : WD Raptor 74Gig for os (and some extra drives for data storrage)
GPU : Nvidia 8800GT 512mb

The coputer i have runs Windows 7 and i dont really have anything to complain about the speed but i know that with new hardware i could double the speed of my current system for a fair price.
I use my pc mainly for browsing internet, gaming (mostly world of warcraft which doesnt require a highend GPU, the one i have is more than enough), downloading, skype/msn and some video/music editing.
I have to say even though my current system is almost 4 years old im still ok with the speed so currently when i upgrade im not looking for the highest end rig, i just want a system that is much faster than what i have atm and that will last me for 3-4 years.
Also i overclock a bit but im not a hardcore overclocker, i just want to squeeze out that little extra so i save the money when i dont have to buy that processor thats a lot more expensive but has little speed increase.

I cant seem to make my mind up about going Intel or AMD (i alwasy had Intel) and even when i deside to go Inter i do not know wheather to go 1156 or 1366 socket (main difference dual/tripple memory i think)

I was thinking of getting the following upgrades :

CPU : Intel® Core™ i7-875K 2933Mhzx4 (on 1156 socket and this version has an unlocked multiplier which should be awsome for basic overclocking) - Eur 309 / 264 Gbp
Mobo : Asus P7P55D-E - Eur 114 / 97 Gbp
Memory : OCZ 8 GB DDR3-1333 Kit (4x2Gb Kit) - Eur 134 / 114 Gbp

So these new parts should be a major speed increase for my system and they would cost me Eur 557 / 467 Gbp.
I am willing to spend a bit more if there is something out there what would give me a lot more speed.

Can u guys give your opinion please ?

Cheers in advance and greetings !
a c 103 à CPUs
November 21, 2010 6:10:08 PM

http://www.scan.co.uk/products/asus-m4a89gtd-pro-amd-89...(x16)-ddr3-2000(oc)-sata-6gb-s-sata-raid-atx £93.87
Assuming you wont be crossfiring, if you will be, look for a board with two pcie x16 slots
http://www.scan.co.uk/products/amd-phenom-ii-x4-955-bla... £110.39 goes well with the board and gives you the tweaking potential you want

http://www.scan.co.uk/products/4gb-(2x2gb)-corsair-ddr3-pc3-10666-(1333)-non-ecc-unbuffered-cas-9-9-9-24-150v £51.47
£255.73 out of your sweaty little pockets :) 
Moto
November 21, 2010 6:21:02 PM

Thanks for the quick reply and i checked out the specs for your suggested processor.
I found that the difference in performance is quite big, i know the AMD 955 processor is more than 2x as cheap as the Intel 875k but the performance of the 875k is a lot better on the AMD one and i really dont mind to spend a bit more.

Here are the charts for these 2 CPU's :

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/charts/desktop-cpu-charts...[4480]=on&prod[4441]=on

Cheers on your thoughts though.
Related resources
a c 103 à CPUs
November 21, 2010 6:31:41 PM

No problem man, I missed the video editing use on your post as well, normally I pick up on that lol
Moto
a b à CPUs
November 21, 2010 6:33:30 PM

First, you could build a really nice system that will have as much power you need off from an i5-760 and it will be able to give you a nice OC.

Second if your not going to go for a max OC the K chip is overkill, your best bet is the i7-950, it can easily reach 3.8GHz if not more.

DDR3 dual channel vs Tripple is not going to make a noticable difference, the only thing that could fully use the bandwithd availible from tripple channel is benchmark programs, and the upcoming mainstream SandyBridge is going to use DDR3 dual channel, so you dont have to worry about losing performance there.

Everything else looks like you have figured out nicely. :) 
November 21, 2010 6:40:11 PM

Thanks again for the replies guys.

I checked out the I7 950 and it is like Eur 50 cheaper than the 875K chip and i guess i could go for 6Gigs of ram in tripple channel which should make my new system even cheaper and a bit faster :) 

I also just read some revieuws about the AMD Phenom II X6 1090T, they all say this CPU is a beast ! and also even eur 100 cheaper than the 875K i wanted to buy in the first place.

I dont have any experience with AMD i just know their CPU's were always a lot slower, use more power and just.... not as solid as Intel.

Whats your thoughts about the best AMD chip ?

Cheers !
a b à CPUs
November 21, 2010 6:46:05 PM

The general consensus on the AMD Phenom II X6 1090T is that the six cores are overkill unless your going to do ALOT of video/audio encoding or file compression, or use heavly treaded apps and its overall performance is weak to say the least. On top of that the i5-760 usally performs better than the AMD Phenom II X6 1090T in any situation. With the i7-950 the performance gap will be even larger.

AMD Phenom II X6 1090T vs. Intel i7-950
November 21, 2010 6:54:51 PM

thechief73 said:
The general consensus on the AMD Phenom II X6 1090T is that the six cores are overkill unless your going to do ALOT of video/audio encoding or file compression, or use heavly treaded apps and its overall performance is weak to say the least. On top of that the i5-760 usally performs better than the AMD Phenom II X6 1090T in any situation. With the i7-950 the performance gap will be even larger.

AMD Phenom II X6 1090T vs. Intel i7-950

You are right, i just saw that in the overall CPU charts.
Kinda weird that a 6 core cpu @ 3.2 performs worse than a 4 core CPU @ 2.9, just feels wrong to me.

Ill guess ill stick with Intel, only thing im brainstorming at if i should go with a I7-870 (or 875K) 1156 chip with 8 Gb (4x2) or with the i7-950 chip 1366 with 6Gb (3x2)
Pro's for the 1156 setup would be more Ram and greater overclock potential if i take the K chip
And pro's for the 1366 setup i would have a little benefit from the tripple channel ram.

Any thoughts ?

Cheers again guys <3

Ps: ive read some more posts and pple state wait and see for Intel's new chipset (1155) that might be faster better and cheaper.
For me thats not an option because i get my pc upgrade through work and i have to use it within the next 2 weeks or it would be not valid anymore.
a b à CPUs
November 21, 2010 7:55:45 PM

Quote:
Ps: ive read some more posts and pple state wait and see for Intel's new chipset (1155) that might be faster better and cheaper. For me thats not an option because i get my pc upgrade through work and i have to use it within the next 2 weeks or it would be not valid anymore.

They are 100% right and that is what I am doing myself. The SandyBridge so far is expected to perform ~10%-20% faster, It will be better no doubt, Intel has been developing it all the while the still leading performance i7's were out( ~2 yrs), and they are expected to be very fairly priced due to smaller manufacturing processes and improvements which both cut costs. That is a bummer that you cannot wait, but atleast your getting help to get a new PC. :) 

As for you problem deciding on the i7-870(875k) vs. the i7-950, the numbers for those chips at stock are really close: i7-870 vs. i7-950. Really I think it comes down to what your going to be using your PC to do, and how much of the bill your going to be stuck with. :) 

I have not done any reading about the i7-875k chip as it is out of my PC price range so if your are really interested in doing an OC, try to find some forums about overclocking that particular chip. But as I had said the i7-950 should be able to do 3.8GHz just fine with a good Mobo, and if you get a nice chip it may go to 4.2GHz but that is about the OC limit there.
November 21, 2010 8:27:46 PM

The main thing for my choise would be the memory setup i guess.
I'm not a hardcore overclocker so i would prolly just set a stable +10% to +15% overclock no matter what chip i would get.

The main reason to go for an i7-870 (or 875K) would be it would be cheaper in memory 8Gigs DDR3 1333 Mhz (4x2Gb for dual channel) and i would know for sure i would be in the safe zone for me in my memory consumption in daily usage.
If i would go for the i7-950 i would go for a 6 Gig DDR3 1800Mhz (3x2Gb for tripple channel) but im not 100% convinced that these 6 Gigs would be enough for my new setup.
I do not have any experience with the new Intel i-x chips but i've read they use more memory for some reason.

At the moment when im running my normal stuff on my pc (im rinning Win7 X64 btw) such as World of warcraft, Winamp, Msn, skype, Internet Explorer, Downloading through usenet and so on i use like 3.4 Gigs outta my current 4 Gigs installed.
I dont know the impact on my memory when im getting the new mobo, ram and CPU.

ATM im leaning towards this setup (only if im convinced the 6 gigs of ram will be enough) :

CPU : Core™ i7 950 (4x 3066 MHz)
Mobo : SABERTOOTH X58 (Intel® X58)
Ram : Kingston Hyper X 6 GB DDR3-1800 Tri-Kit (6144 MB)

This setup is funny enought 1 euro cheaper than the setup i stated in my first post

Pro of this setup is i have tripple channel memory and a slightly faster CPU (i7-950) on a 1366 socket.
Pro of the setup in my 1st post is i would have 2 more Gigs of memory on a 1156 socket with a slightly lower performing CPU (i7-870)

Any thoughts ?

Ps: just saw for 30 euros (~20 Gbp) more i could get 3x4Gb Ram 1333Mhz also... decisions ... decisions.... :( 
a b à CPUs
November 21, 2010 9:44:33 PM

For what it is worth, when I was researching for my upcoming i7-950 or SandyBridge built, havent decieded yet :) 
Everything I have read is memory, dual or tripple, in your PC really does not affect the performance as much you think it will or as the memory companies would want you to. I have NEVER seen anything outside of a 3-5% range(Thats just the RAM not the whole PC) of performance of eachother, the bandwithd on tripple is greater but the performance does not scale with the bandwithd very well.

I would say you would be safe with the i7-950 and 6GB of RAM, that is the standard limit that gamers go to, only people that need to go above that is audio/video encoders, Photoshop users, or working with huge office file or file compression.

If you need to save $ go for what is cheaper as I do not think you will see any difference. If you want to get the i7-870, go for 8GB, I dont think the price is that much different between that and the 6Gb for a i7-950.

You do use alot of RAM, i have winXP-32bit with 4B installed 3.12GB usable, and I have never gone over 2GB used. Running Win7 takes up more memory for the fancy interface and more backround processes, but as far as I know the CPU will not affect it, or at least I have never heard of that issue.

Well this is quite a lengthy read but it may help you ou with your RAM delema: Exploring the impact of memory speed on Core i7 performance, but I do not think this goes on the topic of DDR3 tripple vs dual very much, but still good information on performance.

Here is a Tom's article that may be able to help you out better. PC Memory: Just the Facts

Your going to want to take a look at these:
Intel Core i7: Dual-Channel vs. Triple-Channel Memory Mode
Triple versus Dual-channel memory.
Intel Core i7 Memory Analysis – Can Dual Channel Cut it?
Core i7 Memory Scaling: From DDR3-800 to DDR3-1600

November 21, 2010 11:23:10 PM

Thanks for the reply and the links thechief73,

Concerning ram usage, on my Win7 ultimate x64 pc, when i start up and it runs idle i only use like 740 megs of ram (i have all the unnescesary features and shiny win7 looks turned off) so i still do use a lot of ram in my normal daily pc usage when i go up to 3.6Gigs in memory usage just by doing my normal stuff.

Ive read all the links you posted and found, as u stated, that there isnt a lot of difference between double and tripple Ram setup.
The thought that i would own a triple ram setup and could expand more easily if needed does attract me.
If i was to go with a 4 slot dual channel Ram setup and fill up the slots with 4x2Gb of Ram al the slots would be full and if i ever wanted to upgrade i would have to replace some rams, in the 3x2Gb in a 6 slot motherboard it would leave me the option to just stick in some more ram sticks w/o having to replace the excisting ones :) 

In short ill go with the i7-950 CPU, i think thats the best bang for my buck atm and i wouldn't even have to oc it extremely, a nice 3.6 Ghz would be more than enough for me.

This said it only leaves me with the question if the type mobo and type memory i pick will have a huge impact on performance of my new system.
When i look at the prices of mobo's for this cpu they vary from 120 Gbp (ASRock X58 Extreme) to 280 Gbp (Asus P6T6 WS Revolution), i know some more expansive boards are luxury products and have a lot of options that the avarage user dont even use but they still all share the same X58 Chipset so my first thought would be they are all of the same speed.
I was personally thinking of getting the nice midranged board Asus SABERTOOTH X58 for like 140 Gbp unless there is a more expensive board thats gonna boost my systems speed more or a board that is more overclock friendly (i have to say im a huge Asus fan !)

About the memory ill get, i have no clue... the 3x2 Gb sets differ in price so much (keep in mind im not gonna die hard overclock) - the mobo supports up to 1800Mhz

eg 1600Hmz sets are from pricerange :
60 Gbp for a Kingston HyperX 6 GB DDR3-1600 Tri-Kit
all the way in price range upto
200Gbp for a Corsair 6 GB DDR3-1600 tri-kit

And in the 1800Mhz range i can only get the Kingston HyperX 6 GB DDR3-1800 Tri-Kit for like 100Gbp

I promise after this i wont bother you guys anymore ;P

Again cheers for all the imput again !
a b à CPUs
November 22, 2010 1:15:36 AM

martyz1980 said:
1. If i was to go with a 4 slot dual channel Ram setup and fill up the slots with 4x2Gb of Ram al the slots would be full and if i ever wanted to upgrade i would have to replace some rams, in the 3x2Gb in a 6 slot motherboard it would leave me the option to just stick in some more ram sticks w/o having to replace the excisting ones :) 

2. This said it only leaves me with the question if the type mobo and type memory i pick will have a huge impact on performance of my new system.

3. When i look at the prices of mobo's for this cpu they vary from 120 Gbp (ASRock X58 Extreme) to 280 Gbp (Asus P6T6 WS Revolution), i know some more expansive boards are luxury products and have a lot of options that the avarage user dont even use but they still all share the same X58 Chipset so my first thought would be they are all of the same speed.

4. I was personally thinking of getting the nice midranged board Asus SABERTOOTH X58 for like 140 Gbp unless there is a more expensive board thats gonna boost my systems speed more or a board that is more overclock friendly (i have to say im a huge Asus fan !)

5. About the memory ill get, i have no clue... the 3x2 Gb sets differ in price so much (keep in mind im not gonna die hard overclock) - the mobo supports up to 1800Mhz

60 Gbp for a Kingston HyperX 6 GB DDR3-1600 Tri-Kit

Hey its not a problem, I am glad to help you out. :) 

Sorry I butcherd you post so I can keep trak of my thoughts better, and number it. :) 

1. Thats is one heck of a smart idea, I wish I had thought that up. You could solve this though by getting 2x4GB but that will cost more I belive.

2. Buying a different Mobo will not add any performance, just different quality, features(OC Tools, On-board Audio/Video), and extras(Software/Cabels). You really only need DDR3 1333MHz or DDR3 1600Mhz tripple channel anything else is overkill.

3. Yes, they are all the same speed but the nicer ones can allow for faster RAM(over 1600MHZ) or better OC's due to thier higher standard of build quality, the manufactures of nice boards know what thier customers really want there products to do. Things like USB 3.0 and SATA 6GB/s are still somewhat of a gimmic because not much hardware is out there to utilize it.

4. I love Asus, I am running my P4 on one now, I couldnt select a better board for you than the SaberTooth. I was going to build an i5-760 PC a while back with the socet 1156 SaberTooth, so I could work in a budget, but then I decided to wait a few months to save more for an i7-950 or SandyBridge. No Mobo is going to boost you PC speed, they are all on the same page as to that respect.

5. You really only need DDR3 1333MHz tripple channel or DDR3 1600Mhz tripple channel anything else is overkill and I doubt anything less will save you any money, those are the standard speeds used today, are where the best value is. Go for the Kingston HyperX 6 GB DDR3-1600 Tri-Kit it will be just fine, or if you want to look around my advice is to find the cheapest set of 1600MHz with the lowest CAS# and lowest voltage requirement 1.5v would be perfect. Dont buy the fancy stuff with big heatsinks or say they are performance models that just marketing, but G-Skill has funny heatsinks on all thier RAM but it is a good brand and worth looking at as an option.

[SIDE NOTE] - I seen you mentioned GBP, are you in the UK? I am just about to watch the American version of TOP GEAR premire. I LOVE the UK TOP GEAR, never missed a show, the hosts: Jeremy, Richard, and James, are awsome and funny as h3$%, but some reason I think this American version is going to be just terrible, theres no way to compete with the UK guys.
November 22, 2010 10:15:19 AM

Thanks again for your comments, i made up my mind now :) 

Going for the i7-950, Asus Sabertooth mobo and just 6Gb Kingston HyperX Rams(3x2Gb Tri-Kit), if it turns out to be not enough memory i could even get a cheap 3x1Gb extra trikit or something but i guess the inital 6 gigs of ram will be enough.

I am not from the UK, i live in the Netherlands actually.
When i googled Tom's Hardware site it redirected me to this english one so i thought i would convert my currency (euros) to Gbp so the readers of these forums have a better idea what i'm paying for my hardware.

PS: i love Top Gear and i wish the American dudes a lot of luck because i think it will be hard for them to be compared to the english bloaks who are in the show :p 

Again thanks for the help and thoughts, made my choise a bit easier.

I'll post back here once i have all the components and installed the new pc.

Cheers !
a b à CPUs
November 22, 2010 2:32:39 PM

Sounds Good, I am glad I could help you out.

FYI - If you select the best answer the mods will close the post and you wont be able to add new comments, so wait until you get your build done, so I can see how it went. :)  Then select the best answer. :D 
November 22, 2010 3:11:10 PM

Nice thread guys, very helpful :) 

Martyz - I am thinking of an extremely similar build, same CPU and mobo for sure. I will have to do the same level of research you have done on the RAM, but luckily you have saved me abit of leg work... thanks!

thechief73 - Great advice all the way along here. You mentioned you were thinking of a i7-950 or SandyBridge build. In your opinion, do you see benefits in waiting? I am assuming the SandyBridge will have a premium price on release though. With the i950, do you have a fear your socket will be locked into an 'old model' ?

Cheers guys.

Martyz, I'm looking forward to hearing about your complete build !
a b à CPUs
November 22, 2010 3:27:26 PM

a2love said:
thechief73 - Great advice all the way along here. You mentioned you were thinking of a i7-950 or SandyBridge build. In your opinion, do you see benefits in waiting? I am assuming the SandyBridge will have a premium price on release though. With the i950, do you have a fear your socket will be locked into an 'old model' ?

The main reason I am waiting is soley on seen what the prices do with the i7-950(and related parts) and where the SandyBridge will be priced at. There will always be a "early adopters tax" when new parts comes out. :)  I know that the i7-950 or the more powerfull SandyBridge CPU's will last me so far into the future I am not worried at all about the 1366 socket and really I dont think anyone should be.

The fact of the matter is when you get to the point when you need to upgrade again, you are always better off going with a new build than trying to update an old platform, the prices of old tech stays to high to compete with the prices and adavantages of building a new PC. And for myself, my PC is going on 5yrs next month and it is still doing me just fine playing demanding games like Crysis and Far Cry 2, I could even make it last longer with a new GPU but I feel like its just the right time to retire her and get some new hardware. And its just so darn fun to order a bunch of parts and piece them together into a working PC, its like a drug and I havent had a fix in a very long time. :lol: 
November 22, 2010 3:37:28 PM

hahaha very true chief. Ya, I am finding it extremely easy to fall into the hype about the SandyBridge... if the prices are decent then it is a good route, but if not I may just be wasting my time.

For me it is between the i950 and Sandy... and I was really hoping to do some gaming over xmas ..... :) 
November 22, 2010 3:46:50 PM

There i7-950 is a pretty appealing deal right now. A 50% price reduction is hard to ignore on a highly over-clockable CPU. Going with a fully mature chipset is sort of nice- you know just what you're getting. There will certainly be some advantages to Sandy Bridge and I'm sure they will outperform current 1366 parts, but will it be a better value?

One thing you MAY want to do is wait until just after Thanksgiving to see what kind of deals pop up. Also, if you're shopping on newegg, check for bundles to dip into some additional savings. Usually you can get MoBo/RAM, MoBO/OS, or MoBo/CPU bundles that will bring prices down a good bit.
November 22, 2010 5:42:21 PM

@thechief73, ill select best answer and post back when i got my new setup running :p 

@a2love and beltzy
About waiting for the Sandy Bridge and the new CPU's... I cant wait anyway because my work is paying me for an upgrade now, if i dont upgrade within the next 2 weeks i have to pay for my upgrade myself, now i can get a refund through my work :p 

Another thing that could help pple atm deciding to wait for Sandy or upgrade now through I7 the following;
Every time intell launches a new socket/chipset we all know the first lines of CPU's are going to be not that good as their followers (Remember the 920 C0 and after the 920 D0)
When Sandy Bridge is comming out i think you will pay as much more for a similar setup (than current I7-950+mobo) and you sill get stuff that is going to be cheaper and better when they revise it all after a few months of public testing.
A few months ater the release when the "good" hardware hits the shops than i think is the time to swop/upgrade, not at launch date of a new platform.

But thats just my opinion.

Ill "best answer this threat" untill i have all the stuff im aiming for.

Again cheers all for the help and comments !

<3
November 22, 2010 5:49:43 PM

lol... soz... can some1 tell me quick how i can "best answer" post, ima noob @ toms hardware forums and i cant find the option :) 

Cheers !
a b à CPUs
November 22, 2010 6:17:46 PM

:)  At the bottom right side of each post, there is a "select best answer" buttom, you just click on it, a little window will pop-up asking if you are sure, say "yes". Thats it.

What I was trying to explain though is after you select the best answer your thread will most likely be closed by a mod, unless they miss it, and as far as I know you will not be able to add any new comments to the thread after that. So if you want to post and update later you will not be able to.
November 22, 2010 6:24:10 PM

thechief73 said:
:)  At the bottom right side of each post, there is a "select best answer" buttom, you just click on it, a little window will pop-up asking if you are sure, say "yes". Thats it.

What I was trying to explain though is after you select the best answer your thread will most likely be closed by a mod, unless they miss it, and as far as I know you will not be able to add any new comments to the thread after that. So if you want to post and update later you will not be able to.

Ah thanks for explaining that :) 

The thing is i only have 3 bottons on every post in this order :
Edit this Message - Quick edit - Add to the list of quoted msge and a link saying Reply to *poster name*

PS: in msge's that are not mine i can only click 1 button : Add to quota msge and a link saying

Maybe it has something to do with the fact i only joined yesterday O.o
a b à CPUs
November 22, 2010 7:57:14 PM

Hmm...I do not know how it exactally works, it seems most likely the thread has to be inactive for a period of time first. Anyhow in about a week or so Tom's will automatically email you to select an answer anyhow. :) 
a c 103 à CPUs
November 23, 2010 5:16:07 AM

I suspect you opened it as a discussion, not a 'question with answer' :) 
Just shout out your B.A. on here, next thread youll remember though, I know I learned the same way hehe
Moto
November 23, 2010 8:30:14 AM

yes thats right, thanks for pointing that out :) 

Cheers !
a b à CPUs
November 23, 2010 8:40:16 AM

martyz1980 said:
yes thats right, thanks for pointing that out :) 

Cheers !

It could be changed to a question thread if you want but then it'll be closed after you choose a BA.
!