First Gaming PC build, Help please.

maxor148

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2011
Hello,
I have an AMD Athlon II X2 220 running at 2.80 Ghz, and I want to get a better processor, so I was thinking of buying Athlon II X3 450 Triple Core Processor which is 3.20 Ghz, so since both are AMD I am guessing that the new processor should work on my ASUS motherboard. I wanted to know if the 450 is better then my current 220. Since the 450 is a triple core processor and my current 220 is a dual core processor I am guessing that the 450 would run faster and make gaming more easier for me with those 3.20 Ghz.
I am new to this and this is going to be my first gaming pc build so please bare with me. Also I am thinking of buying an EVGA GeForce GTS 450 FPB Video Card, it is a 1024MB or 1GB DDR5 card, and it is PCI-Epress 2.0, If you wouldn't mind saying your opinion on this card, keep in mind It is a cheap build.
I also have 8GB of Ram just to put it out there, incase you would need that information.
Please reply any information is greatly appreciated, and I really want to finish this to the end because the first build is always the most satisfying. Thank you ^_^~!

I haven't seen performance gains with extra cores, but I'm not a gamer. I recommend you check the "cpu support" section for your asus board; don't assume it will run a faster cpu; it may require a bios flash first. Wait for a phenom II on sale for around $100 at newegg or your favorite vender. I've seen the 955 new for $100 on craigslist, but you may not want to wait for a deal. But if the 450 is all you want, then go for it; it's faster, I'm just not sure how much speed you'll see with your games.

maxor148

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2011
Thanks for the reply ^-^
Ok I downloaded CPU-Z and il post a picture of the results, cause it says my mother board model is CM1630 but i search that and it shows me my whole computer.
Untitled-1.png