Upgrading motherboard, problems with OS questions

reyez

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2011
Hi everyone,

I'm planning to upgrade my Dell microatx motherboard for a full atx including a new case to hopefully better circulate the air to cool down my computer. This is the motherboard I picked out...

MSI P55-CD53 LGA 1156 Intel P55 ATX Intel Motherboard

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813130240

I have a Intel Core i7 860, XFX Radeon 6770, and a 500W PSU

I am new to building and upgrading my computer components and I've been told that I'll have to reinstall my OS if I change my motherboard. I am keeping my old hard drive and I have my old OS disk and serial number on the tag of the computer case. Is that all I need to install a motherboard and for it to work properly? Can someone explain the steps to me in doing so?

Thanks!

although its probably best to do a clean install it is possible sometimes to put the old hard drive in the new build with windows still on it--if you do so it may work ok or it may bluescreen--if you do it start in safe mode and let it find the new hardware then reboot--if it doesnt work then you can do a clean install

i have done it lots of times and sometimes its fine and sometimes it wont wear it

your dell serial and os disk may not work on a new build as i believe it checks to see if its a dell machine by the bios