Sign in with
Your question

INQ: "Nvidia banned from using its own GPUs"

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
a b U Graphics card
July 27, 2010 3:29:48 PM

..if you didn't like Rambus before, here's another reason to add to the (steaming) pile.

And since the heart of this suit goes to the memory used on graphics cards, I have to wonder how long it'll take for ATi to find themselves in the same situation.

Source: http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/1724913/nvidia...

Quote:
Looks to the EC for help

By Lawrence Latif
Tue Jul 27 2010, 13:15

PATENT TROLL OUTFIT Rambus has managed to win a ruling that effectively means that graphics chip designer Nvidia is banned from importing the chips it uses in just about every one of its products.

The ruling affects not only the Green Goblin but all of its manufacturing partners, the companies that actually manufacture the graphics cards based on its GPU chips. Nvidia took the lead in the legal defense for the other named parties, which include Asustek, HP and Microstar International (MSI) among others.

All this is due to Rambus claiming that Nvidia's chips use its technologies without licence. Apparently talks to come to an amicable agreement failed leading to the dispute fetching up in front of the US International Trade Commission (ITC).

According to the ITC ruling, "To remedy this violation, the Commission has determined to issue a limited exclusion order and cease-and-desist orders against [the] respondents". Basically, the ITC ordered Nvidia to stop what it was doing and back away from the chips.

However Nvidia plans to get around this legal problem by relying on an agreement between Rambus and the European Commission that resulted in the patent collector not being able to charge more than 40 cents per unit on memory controllers that allegedly use its patented technology.

Rambus has wielded its large patent portfolio to generate enough cash to stay afloat for years. To date it has managed to squeeze royalties out of just about every chip and memory manufacturer. This latest ITC ruling affects Nvidia's Geforce, Quadro, Tesla and Tegra product lines.

What's interesting is that this time Nvidia might be able to get around Rambus' technology roadblock by making use in the US of a previous settlement with the patent squatter by the EC. µ

More about : inq nvidia banned gpus

a b U Graphics card
July 27, 2010 3:51:58 PM

RAMBUS...

Funny story: My dad works in the software industry, and when I told him about this, he replied: "RAMBUS is still around?"

Tells you all you need to know. :D 
a b U Graphics card
July 27, 2010 4:07:21 PM

Yah - They're still around... Gave up on Technology some time ago, and now they're professional Leeches driven my patent lawyers.
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
July 27, 2010 5:18:49 PM

From what I understand ATI have for a long time had a licensing agreement with rambus. I think there are a few companies who thought the trouble of fighting it in court was not worth it compared to licensing agreements.
a b U Graphics card
July 27, 2010 5:31:04 PM

strangestranger said:
From what I understand ATI have for a long time had a licensing agreement with rambus. I think there are a few companies who thought the trouble of fighting it in court was not worth it compared to licensing agreements.

Thanks guys - I didn't know ATi had already made that business decision.

Though personally, RAMBUS are still arguably my #1 most disliked tech company. I say arguably because they at least pick on people their own size to screw, rather than directly affect end consumers.
July 27, 2010 6:43:19 PM

Yeah heard about the news very disappointed.

Woot PATENTS WOOT SPRING BREAK NO WORK
!