The speed on my 192.168.1.254 page changes every couple of seconds from 24mbps to 18mbps with my new WLAN adaptor.
Is the adaptor faulty or something?
And if I leave it, will this cause any future problems?
Also, if the adaptor is plugged in the back usb ports, it will run at 1-2mbps. Right now I have them plugged in the front.
It's wireless. It's subject to range, reception and interference issues. The reason it's slower when plugged in the back is probably because the computer's steel case comes between the antenna and the router.
1) raise the router above furniture level
2) Experiment with channels (some will work better or worse depending on your environment)
3) If you can detect strong neighbouring wifi, use a channel 5 stops away from strongest.
4) Relocate cordless phone base or video sender etc.
5) Be prepared to move the computer (or at least turn it so your body is not between the router signal and the wireless adapter's antenna).