Computer Speakers - How to judge.. ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

asheesh1_2000

Distinguished
May 13, 2010
Recently my bro has got a Phillips Home Theater 5.1 at 600 Watt RMS. I am using a Creative 2.1 at 21 RMS for some 5 years.

One of mine satellite speakers has gone soundless however the bass effect which I get from them is 3 times what Bro's music system throws. I accept that Phillips has a better surround system as compared to mine as mine has none but with 600 Watt guys, I was really expecting something.

Is it that I am looking at the units wrong, means that RMS might mean something else in Home theater System and something else in Computer system?

I am somewhat confused as I am also about to buy a new 2.1 for my PC and while lower models are coming at 20 - 30 Watt RMS, the higher models come at 200 - 300 Watts.

Can anyone tell me if it is possible to have so much of variation in RMS and can it be really felt or is it just a number written on the packing?

Solution
600w rms would be the total system power. We would need a breakdown to determine how much each speaker is getting but I've got to beleive he doesn't have the bass cranked up on his system since most setups of that power have at least 100w subwoofers.

Rms stands for root mean square, a standardized way of measuring a sine wave whose average would naturally be zero. Though some manufacturers may exaggerate their systems, 600w should outperform 21w

popatim

Titan
600w rms would be the total system power. We would need a breakdown to determine how much each speaker is getting but I've got to beleive he doesn't have the bass cranked up on his system since most setups of that power have at least 100w subwoofers.

Rms stands for root mean square, a standardized way of measuring a sine wave whose average would naturally be zero. Though some manufacturers may exaggerate their systems, 600w should outperform 21w

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.