Solved

My Hard drive transfer/copy speed suddenly dropped

He everyone,

I am having a serious problem. My Caviar blue Western digital transfer speed suddenly dropped to 20 mb/sec. (from windows 7) (from xp it is much less than that!!)
WDC_WD6400AAKS-22A7B

I checked for errors, then checked and repaired 40 bad sectors by one of the programs on hiren's boot CD. What is wrong with my pc? I have Norton 360 v6 (on xp) (non on win7 as I do not use it)

one thing i noticed on win7 is that when i cope/move the speed starts with 100mb+ then drops at the end of copying to 20-30mb/sec!

plz help??
11 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about hard drive transfer copy speed suddenly dropped
  1. First check for viruses (Free: MSE or AVG) and run MalwareBytes. If these come up clean it's probably your hard drive going out. Backup all your data ASAP and plan to get a new hard drive.
  2. do I have to uninstall norton first? :(
    Any test I can do to the hard to know?
  3. Ok, I just tried HD tune from both xp and win7

Read test:
    winXp max speed 3.5mb ????????????
    win7 check the pic: (I do not know if this is good or not)

So, may be the sata driver got corrupted on XP? or what :o ???
  4. Best answer
    Just make sure your Norton is updated and run a full scan. Also download and run MalwareBytes. It finds things Norton doesn't.

Wouldn't hurt to delete your hard drive in device manager and let it re-load the drivers. Try HD tune after that.
  5. roger that, but this hard drive contain both windows! anyway, i'll try it and report back, thanks man
  6. zdbc13 said:
    Just make sure your Norton is updated and run a full scan. Also download and run MalwareBytes. It finds things Norton doesn't.

Wouldn't hurt to delete your hard drive in device manager and let it re-load the drivers. Try HD tune after that.

I got it working back, thanks man!

And to let everyone with the same problem benefit:
    First: I deleted the HDD from device manager--->Could not load windows (kept restarting) so i had to "load windows with last known good config"
    Then: I deleted Sata controller from DM ----------> SAME AS ABOVE!

Until then, nothing was fixed.. Same problem (My max transfer speed is 3mb/sec only on my Sata HDD, my IDE was working good)

Fully scanned my PC with Norton 360 and Malwarebytes (Thanks as it removed many adwares) and still, same problem...

I decided to make another trial with that windows (as win7 was good on both HDDs), so i reinstalled windows xp (upgrade as a first step) and TADAAAAAAAAAAA

Everything works good now, it was my sata controller drivers that failed :sleep:

Thanks for your time zdbc13
  7. It sounds to me as if Windows XP had reverted to PIO mode after detecting too many CRC errors.

See http://winhlp.com/node/10

You might also like to check the SMART attributes under HD Tune's Health tab. Look for reallocated, pending, or uncorrectable sectors. Also check the UDMA CRC Error count.
  8. Yes, backup all your important data because that disk may be going bad.
  9. Well I do not understand the results so here it is:

Anything wrong?
  10. Smart looks good. Sounds like re-installing fixed it.
  11. Best answer selected by mizobizo.
Ask a new question

Read More

Hard Drives Western Digital Windows XP Storage