My Hard drive transfer/copy speed suddenly dropped

mizobizo

Honorable
Dec 2, 2012
He everyone,

I am having a serious problem. My Caviar blue Western digital transfer speed suddenly dropped to 20 mb/sec. (from windows 7) (from xp it is much less than that!!)
WDC_WD6400AAKS-22A7B

I checked for errors, then checked and repaired 40 bad sectors by one of the programs on hiren's boot CD. What is wrong with my pc? I have Norton 360 v6 (on xp) (non on win7 as I do not use it)

one thing i noticed on win7 is that when i cope/move the speed starts with 100mb+ then drops at the end of copying to 20-30mb/sec!

plz help??

Solution
Just make sure your Norton is updated and run a full scan. Also download and run MalwareBytes. It finds things Norton doesn't.

Wouldn't hurt to delete your hard drive in device manager and let it re-load the drivers. Try HD tune after that.

mizobizo

Honorable
Dec 2, 2012
Ok, I just tried HD tune from both xp and win7

Read test:
winXp max speed 3.5mb ????????????
win7 check the pic: (I do not know if this is good or not)
km15.png

So, may be the sata driver got corrupted on XP? or what :eek: ???

zdbc13

Distinguished
Just make sure your Norton is updated and run a full scan. Also download and run MalwareBytes. It finds things Norton doesn't.

Wouldn't hurt to delete your hard drive in device manager and let it re-load the drivers. Try HD tune after that.

Solution

mizobizo

Honorable
Dec 2, 2012

I got it working back, thanks man!

And to let everyone with the same problem benefit:
First: I deleted the HDD from device manager--->Could not load windows (kept restarting) so i had to "load windows with last known good config"
Then: I deleted Sata controller from DM ----------> SAME AS ABOVE!

Until then, nothing was fixed.. Same problem (My max transfer speed is 3mb/sec only on my Sata HDD, my IDE was working good)

Fully scanned my PC with Norton 360 and Malwarebytes (Thanks as it removed many adwares) and still, same problem...

I decided to make another trial with that windows (as win7 was good on both HDDs), so i reinstalled windows xp (upgrade as a first step) and TADAAAAAAAAAAA

Everything works good now, it was my sata controller drivers that failed :sleep:

Thanks for your time zdbc13