Sign in with
Your question
Solved

My Hard drive transfer/copy speed suddenly dropped

Last response: in Storage
December 7, 2012 11:20:10 AM

He everyone,

I am having a serious problem. My Caviar blue Western digital transfer speed suddenly dropped to 20 mb/sec. (from windows 7) (from xp it is much less than that!!)
WDC_WD6400AAKS-22A7B

I checked for errors, then checked and repaired 40 bad sectors by one of the programs on hiren's boot CD. What is wrong with my pc? I have Norton 360 v6 (on xp) (non on win7 as I do not use it)

one thing i noticed on win7 is that when i cope/move the speed starts with 100mb+ then drops at the end of copying to 20-30mb/sec!

plz help??
a b G Storage
December 7, 2012 12:48:40 PM

First check for viruses (Free: MSE or AVG) and run MalwareBytes. If these come up clean it's probably your hard drive going out. Backup all your data ASAP and plan to get a new hard drive.
m
l
December 7, 2012 3:52:17 PM

do I have to uninstall norton first? :( 
Any test I can do to the hard to know?
m
l
Related resources
December 7, 2012 7:47:36 PM

Ok, I just tried HD tune from both xp and win7

Read test:
winXp max speed 3.5mb ????????????
win7 check the pic: (I do not know if this is good or not)

So, may be the sata driver got corrupted on XP? or what :o  ???
m
l

Best solution

a b G Storage
December 7, 2012 8:02:37 PM

Just make sure your Norton is updated and run a full scan. Also download and run MalwareBytes. It finds things Norton doesn't.

Wouldn't hurt to delete your hard drive in device manager and let it re-load the drivers. Try HD tune after that.
December 7, 2012 8:49:39 PM

roger that, but this hard drive contain both windows! anyway, i'll try it and report back, thanks man
m
l
December 8, 2012 8:43:25 PM

zdbc13 said:
Just make sure your Norton is updated and run a full scan. Also download and run MalwareBytes. It finds things Norton doesn't.

Wouldn't hurt to delete your hard drive in device manager and let it re-load the drivers. Try HD tune after that.

I got it working back, thanks man!

And to let everyone with the same problem benefit:
First: I deleted the HDD from device manager--->Could not load windows (kept restarting) so i had to "load windows with last known good config"
Then: I deleted Sata controller from DM ----------> SAME AS ABOVE!

Until then, nothing was fixed.. Same problem (My max transfer speed is 3mb/sec only on my Sata HDD, my IDE was working good)

Fully scanned my PC with Norton 360 and Malwarebytes (Thanks as it removed many adwares) and still, same problem...

I decided to make another trial with that windows (as win7 was good on both HDDs), so i reinstalled windows xp (upgrade as a first step) and TADAAAAAAAAAAA

Everything works good now, it was my sata controller drivers that failed :sleep: 

Thanks for your time zdbc13
m
l
a c 316 G Storage
December 9, 2012 2:44:08 AM

It sounds to me as if Windows XP had reverted to PIO mode after detecting too many CRC errors.

See http://winhlp.com/node/10

You might also like to check the SMART attributes under HD Tune's Health tab. Look for reallocated, pending, or uncorrectable sectors. Also check the UDMA CRC Error count.
m
l
a b G Storage
December 9, 2012 12:30:48 PM

Yes, backup all your important data because that disk may be going bad.
m
l
December 14, 2012 1:35:23 PM

Well I do not understand the results so here it is:

Anything wrong?
m
l
a b G Storage
December 14, 2012 3:59:52 PM

Smart looks good. Sounds like re-installing fixed it.
m
l
December 15, 2012 5:02:52 PM

Best answer selected by mizobizo.
m
l
!