Help HDD Failing

lilroc57

Honorable
Dec 7, 2012
Hello,

** Tried to include as much info as possible if TLDR theres a summary at bottom**

I have a 500gb hdd that came with my samsung laptop.
The laptop suddenly 1 day booted with an error message about
possible recent hardware software changes causing an error and asked if i wanted to
boot normally or repair boot..if i click boot normally the screen goes black for a minute or 2 then reboots back to the same menu. If i choose the repair it goes to a loading files screen
then to an empty desktop screen and freezes there indefinitely ( freeze isn't quite correct i can move the mouse pointer but screen is blank no access to anything ctrl alt del cmd prompt etc) The hdd spins , powers on etc. I ran tests on the drive with ultimate boot disk??
(think thats the name) and it reported SEVERAL (over a million) errors.

Now i am just trying to recover data from it. I plugged it into my desktop and when i boot it says something about a S.M.A.R.T error. The hdd is detected in bios and i have bios set to boot from my desktops C drive 1st then cd drive etc but it will not boot to windows with the laptops drive installed.

I tried installing the faulty drive while the desktop was already turned on (not even sure hdd's are hot swap-able?) but then the desktop doesnt detect the drive at all.

In summary laptop drive spins up, if i connect it to desktop while power is off, then turn power
on bios detects it but wont boot, if i connect it after ive booted my desktop hdd spins up but not detected. Is there anyway i can get the data off this thing?

Thanks for reading