LAPTOP SCREEN CUTS ON/OFF DEPENDING ON POSITION

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gary Knotts

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2010
ACER LAPTOP: SCREEN WILL CUT OFF AND ON DEPENDING ON THE POSITION IT IS IN. WHEN OPENING THE SCREEN YOU HAVE TO ENTER ACCESS CODE WHEN IT IS ABOUT 4" OPEN. AS IT "WARMS UP" YOU CAN OPEN IT WIDER BUT IT WILL FLICKER ON AND OFF. THIS ALSO CAUSES PROBLEMS WITH THE WIFI CONNECTION.

THANKS, GARY

Solution
This happens alot on laptops as they age.
It is wear and tear on the cable that feeds the digital video signal to the screen, and also the power from the inverter board to the back light of the screen.

Normaly because they feed the cable from the laptop mainboard through or near the hinges of the screen.
It is not always the case that you need a whole new screen at all Gary
As for the WiFi, that also takes the same route, Both the wires are simply connected to a large flat foil alloy sheet that acts as the aerial, found between the lid of the laptop and the back of the Lcd screen unit.
You can buy a new cable for about £35, it depends on the model of acer laptop it is.

v1zzle

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2009
I've had a similar problem with my old Acer:p LCD monitor - coincidence. It would flicker on and off at times. Your screen is failing. For a future referrence, don't buy ACER again

This happens alot on laptops as they age.
It is wear and tear on the cable that feeds the digital video signal to the screen, and also the power from the inverter board to the back light of the screen.

Normaly because they feed the cable from the laptop mainboard through or near the hinges of the screen.
It is not always the case that you need a whole new screen at all Gary
As for the WiFi, that also takes the same route, Both the wires are simply connected to a large flat foil alloy sheet that acts as the aerial, found between the lid of the laptop and the back of the Lcd screen unit.
You can buy a new cable for about £35, it depends on the model of acer laptop it is.

Solution
As above about the cable arrangement.

Have you checked the little screen shut of switch isn't sticking. Its usually positioned where the bottem of the screen casing meets the base of the case, as the lid closes it pushes the switch and shuts the screen display off, worth a look.

As for being an Acer related problem I'd have to disagree, it can happen on any of them. I've built and maintained many Acer latops and found them well made and they have only got better over the years. I've had a similar problem once with an Acer laptop and as mentioned above it was the switch sticking.

Whats the model number of your laptop?

+1 to check the backlight cut off switch first. then look at the LCD cable. If a replacement cable doesnt fix it then your up for a new lcd. Also +1 to beanoslim as to the comment about acer. This problem does happen to all manufacturers. Its probably got a lot to do with how people look after their laptops. I find it amazing how people treat laptops sometimes. You wouldnt just throw your desktop PC around and spill drinks and food all over your keyboard and expect it to work for long right? Although you probably wont see a Macbook fan neglecting their laptop, which is probably why people believe they are more reliable, as the owners treat them better. Can you imagine what would happen to a macbook air if you dropped it? It would fall to pieces like a poorly made compact korean car.

+1^ Exactamundo. [:bohleyk:1]

I once had a laptop brought to me, faulty, can't understand it! After a bit of quizzing the owner revealed that during the hoovering the laptop got kicked or bashed out of the way with the hoover end. :na: Funny that.

Acer laptops in general are pretty robust.

Status
Not open for further replies.