Sign in with
Your question

Help with $1,500 max Gaming/Video Processing./Editing Rig..

Last response: in Systems
September 1, 2010 3:32:05 AM

Alright you guys gotta give me some help here.. :heink: 

APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: 1-2 weeks

BUDGET RANGE: 1,500 $ After Rebates (less would be awesome)

SYSTEM USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT:
  • Gaming
  • Video Editing
  • Photoshopping
  • Media (Videos +Music)
  • Internet
  • Word Processing

PARTS NOT REQUIRED:
  • Keyboard
  • Mouse
  • Monitor
  • Speakers
  • CPU / Processor (Bought an I7-930 for 199.99)

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS:
  • Newegg
  • Tigerdirect

COUNTRY OF ORIGIN: USA, Ohio

PARTS PREFERENCES:

• Need a GPU
  • Decent Hard Drive or two to store edited videos/photos on
  • CD/DVD Drive..
  • PSU
  • RAM
  • Wireless Card
  • Anything else you can think of

OVERCLOCKING: Yes

SLI OR CROSSFIRE:
    Eventually, Yes in the future

MONITOR RESOLUTION:

(suggestions on monitors welcome, will be looking into the biggest one possible later on, NOTE THIS IS NOT A PRIORITY RIGHT NOW!)

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS:
  • A case with a window would be great, a quiet pc is nice.
  • I am looking for suggestions on monitors not sure if I should buy at this time..
  • I am not really looking into SSD's too much $$$.
  • I am planning on buying Windows 7 Professional 64 bit

• I want the ability to add things onto the computer in the future, I am looking for a sound card, TV tuner, and another Graphics card to add on in the future.. if not now

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have made some selections, please let me know what you would suggest, because I am really confused right now on what to do, havent been looking in the market for a while, (Shame on me :pt1cable:  )

ORANGE Things already bought
    RED Things I have my mind set on, like the mobo
    BLUE Things I am really confused on and need your help!

CPU: Intel I7 930 (Already owned so that's that)

CASE: Thermaltake ArmorPlus(Armor+) VH6000BWS

I want one thats big and I wont really have to replace anymore and has good airflow and will fit any size mobo.. (there is a combo for it with W7 Prof. 64bit for $314.99 )

-$314.98

PSU: CORSAIR HX Series CMPSU-850HX 850W

-I figure 850w, should be perfectly fine.
    -$169.99

or should I go with CORSAIR CMPSU-850TX 850W ?

MOBO: EVGA Intel X58 4-WAY SLI Classified XL ATX

I am not trying to cure cancer or anything, but hey, its 279.99 after mail in rebates! :D  idk what do you think? Also it has to fit a network card, sound card, and a TV tuner (I might go USB with that though) and another graphics card.... so I am afraid that there are no soundcards / network cards that will fit PCI-E 2.0 slots ... does anyone know if they will?

RAM: Alright I need some help with this one :( 

GPU: ?? 460 or 465 GTX?? I dont know..

Network Card: D-Link DWA-556 IEEE 802.11n (draft)

-Will it fit in a PCIE 2.0 slot?

Hard-drive: Please help :(  Cost-effective, yet fast, yet big.. :ouch: 

Sound Card: ASUS Xonar DX 7.1 Channels PCI Express x1 Interface Sound Card
    ?

- Would this type of card fit in a PCI-E 2.0? Buying this now IS NOT NECESSARY, I am not anal about sound... plus I only have 2 speakers and a sub so its really not necessary.. yet..

Looking for suggestions

CD DRIVE: ??

CARD READER: Are there any SDHC card readers out there? having a rough time finding one

CPU COOLER: Go ahead, shoot

Fire away, suggest, etc, I am worry on the Mobo and that I wont use it to its full potential, however it is at a good price.. and I am gonna go for it :love: 
    September 2, 2010 2:12:27 AM

I worry about the soundcard, network card, and possibly a tv tuner card, may not fit into the PCI-E 2.0 slot becasue alot of them say PCI-E x1 in their description.. does that mean they will still fit in there even thought there will be alot of the 2.0 slot unused?

I just need them to work on this Mobo I have listed

Edit -
    I have been doing some reading on this site and it does seem that a PCI-E x1 card would fit and work right in a x1, x4, x8 or x16 slot.
    September 2, 2010 9:21:26 AM

Hi.

For starters I will give you some pointers on the RAM as you have no idea on this. You have a i7930, so you need to get triple channel memory (i.e. 3 x 1GB, 3 x 2GB, 6 x 1GB etc.). So with that in mind I would suggest the following:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

This has low latency, for good performance, and the voltage is low at 1.5 which will allow you to do better over clocking. You don't need faster than 1600 RAM as 2000 doesn't have any noticeable increase in performance, but a heftier price tag.

As for the mobo, I know you have it in red, but I'm not sure about EVGA boards, but by the look of it, it has lower specs than this ASUS (who are a great mobo brand)

This ASUS has 6GB SATA, USB 3 and everything else seems the same at quick glance, apart from it having 4-way SLI instead of 3. The EVGA is over TWICE the price (Am I missing anything else special about it that makes it so expensive?).

GPU advice would be to go ro the 460 over the 465, and to get the 460 1GB version. As for which 460, there is an article on the front page of this site comparing a whole heap of 1GB 460's, read through that to see which will meet your needs best.

This seems to be the most recommended hard drive around here:

But I would recommend getting a seperate boot drive. I was looking for a 150GB SATA 3 (6GB/s) WD Velociraptor, but can't find one anywhere.
    !