Closed Solved

4GB or 8GB will it be a waste on my specifc laptop?

Hello I have a Compaq Presario CQ56-115DX laptop and am planning on upgrading the memory.
I am not sure if I should just upgrade to 4GB or max it out at 8GB. I am aware that this laptop is bad for gaming and can't afford to buy a better computer at the moment.

Currently it has 2GB on it right now and is running windows XP 32-bit, becuase I have read posts on other sites saying that it is necessary to have 4GB run windows 7 64-bit, and I figured it would run better on xp so I installed my windows XP on it, but I plan to switch back to windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit after I buy more memory.

I ask because I want to know if I get the 8gb am I just wasting my money for this particular laptop?

my specs are as follows
Windows XP SP3 (Originally Windows 7
Compaq Presario CQ56-115DX
AMD V140 2.3Ghz single core processor
2GB PC3-10600 DDR3 SDRAM SODIMM 204pin memory.
AMD M880G with ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4250 700MB display memory

Please and thank you.
6 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about waste specifc laptop
  1. Best answer
    for your Laptop 2Gb is enough and if you upgrade to 4GHz, this need a lot of money : buy OS 64bit and new driver 64bit (maybe very hard find driver ), max add ram is 8GB. i think waste money and time at all.

Just info maximum ram is 8Gb in OS 64:
    http://www.crucial.com/upgrade/compatible-memory-for/HP+-+Compaq/Presario+CQ56-115DX/list.html
  2. its not necessary to have 4gb of ram to run windows 7 64bit you can run it fine on 2gb of ram-- its only if you are running over 4gb of ram on a 32bit windows that it wont let you use it all so then 64bit is needed to use it all
  3. If you aren't running any demanding programs or lots of programs simultaneously, than 2 gig is fine for XP. I definitely wouldn't put more than 4 gig in for XP. Other than that, save your money for a new system.
  4. ok so 8gb is overkill and I plan to re install windows 7 64-bit so I will just go with 4gb then, even though it can run with 2gb but, since I can't afford upgrading entirely I will just go with 4gb until then and thank you all for the useful information
  5. Best answer selected by zchs1988.
  6. This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Ask a new question

Read More

Memory Laptops Windows XP