Any Advantage to running a main SSD and a caching partition?

Pretty simplistic question here, however I haven't found any solid benchmarks or topics to really provide me with an answer.

I'm running a 128GB Kingston HyperX SSD as my main drive, and 2x 7200 rpm, 500GB western digital drives in Raid 0 as my secondary drive. Being in raid 0, the hard drives already get a performance boost, however my question is this...

Has anyone found any valid benchmarks or proof as to what the performance increase would be like if you pair a Main SSD, with a caching SSD for the secondary drive? I'd venture a guess the gains would be very marginal, but I'd like to see actual testing that has been done, if any.

I seem to have come up empty handed in my searches.

Thanks,
Chris
3 answers Last reply
More about advantage running main caching partition
  1. No benefit. Photoshop users like a second SSD as a "scratch disk" to hold temporary files while editing. Otherwise you could use it for programs to keep your "OS" ssd cleaner.
  2. I figured as much, just wanted to verify. I'd imagine it would only marginally help on any of the games I have installed on the raid drives... But even with that it would be next to nothing, and not worth the money. Might as well sell the 60GB!

Thanks
  3. Good idea....
Ask a new question

Read More

SSD NAS / RAID Storage