9800GTX+ and GTX460 1GB

w0lfattack

Distinguished
May 26, 2010
Hi guys,

I've had my 9800GTX+ for about six months now but it has been kind of lacking on newer games so I have ordered a MSI GTX460 1GB. I was wondering if I would still be able to use the old 9800GTX alongside my new card. I know you can't SLI it, but I heard somewhere you can dedicate it to Physx possible?

If not, I will probably still keep it in case I grab a 3rd or 4th monitor. Right now I have two 1680 x 1050's. I don't plan on selling it because I don't believe graphics cards have a good resale value. Please correct me if I am wrong. Craigslist?

Specs:
Intel Core i7 - 860 Lynnfield Processor @ 2.8GHz
Asus P7P55 WS SuperComputer ATX Motherboard
EVGA 9800 GTX+ Graphics Card
G.SKILL RipJaw 4GB Triple Channel DDR3 1600 RAM
Corsair 850W Power Supply
Cooler Master HAF 932 Steel ATX Full Tower Case

Solution
You can still use the 9800GTX+ for PhysX. That will only give you any performance boost in games that use PhysX specifically. Most games, you won't see any difference.

I have a GTX 470 w/GTX260 as PhysX. The GTX260 sits at idle 90% of the time. :) So it's probably just a waste of power. ;)

FYI: new 9800GTX+ are selling on eBay for about $100. And keep in mind, eBay and Paypal both get a percentage of your sale if you sell through eBay.
You can still use the 9800GTX+ for PhysX. That will only give you any performance boost in games that use PhysX specifically. Most games, you won't see any difference.

I have a GTX 470 w/GTX260 as PhysX. The GTX260 sits at idle 90% of the time. :) So it's probably just a waste of power. ;)

FYI: new 9800GTX+ are selling on eBay for about $100. And keep in mind, eBay and Paypal both get a percentage of your sale if you sell through eBay.

Solution

w0lfattack

Distinguished
May 26, 2010
I play Medal of Honor, Crysis, BFBC2, Splinter Cell Conviction, L4D2, MW2, World At War, and Assasins Creed 2. Would these see any advantage?

Also, I don't pay for electricity. :)

Yeah, unfortunately since PhysX is an nVidia proprietary system (i.e. ATI can't legally use it) a lot of game developers won't use it. Specifically because only about 1/2 (I'm sure it's not an exact number) of their customers can even take advantage of it. You not only need an nVidia card, but it has to be two cards, or one very high end card to play PhysX titles with all the settings turned on. :)

PhysX is pretty cool stuff, but not many titles truly support it. At least usually not "big hit" titles. :(