Need Confirmation That This Build Works Alright

silentmemories

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2010
I'm going to be building the ultra budget rig below. I just need confirmations to see if this build works together fine and if it would have any compatibility problem or something like that.

CPU: AMD Athlon II X4 630 2.8GHz
RAM: Kingston DDR3 2GB
Graphics Card: Sapphire HD5770 1GB
Motherboard: ASUS M4A87TD
Power Supply: CORSAIR CMPSU-550VXCN 550W

Case: NZXT M59
Hard Drive: WD Caviar Black 500GB

Also, would it be necessary to buy any extra fans for this or do they come with the case?

iRaiden

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2010

Absolutely. You could QuadFire with that board with all the cards at full speed.

Choosing motherboards can not be done just by seeing the specs and features.
It is true that the mobo from Biostar looks good, but the problem is, Biostar is known for it's cheap price with cheap quality.
I have bought several Biostars and they are all became problems less than 2 years, some even under 1 year. So, I have decided not to get another one from Biostar ever.
You have to pay attention also to the reputation of the brand.

I always use only these brands :
Gigabyte, ASUS, and MSI

silentmemories

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2010

What motherboard would be good for my build that can also CrossFire? I am a beginner to this so I have no idea when choosing motherboards.

Single XFire means you can only use 2 graphic cards, while multiple means more than 1 XFire (up to 4 cards on GA-890FXA-UD5).

As you can find on the spec sheet, beside only single XFire is possible, GIGABYTE GA-890XA-UD3 runs only on x8 Xfire, hich is not optimal, unlike GA-890FXA-UD5 which runs on x16 on single XFire.

Info :
GA-890FXA-UD5 :
non Xfire x16 (1 Card)
single way XFire x16 (2 Cards)
2 way XFire x8 (3 Cards)
3 way XFire x4 (4 Cards)

BTW : where do you live? if you are in USA or Canada, you can get GA-890FXA-UD5 on newegg. If you are living in germany, just get it from kmelektronik.de or alternate.de.

silentmemories

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2010
Ahh... I understand. I think I will only be using 2 graphics card at the maximum. In that case, would it be better to use the XA-UD3.

How would I know if a card is XFire compatible? Is the Sapphire 5770 1GB okay for it?

UD3 will work but it is just not optimal due to the x8 for XFire, but it will do, since you can not find the UD5.

HD5770 will do, but if you can still afford HD5850, I would say get the HD5850. 2 HD5770s is a lot weaker than 2 HD5850s, if you are planning on XFiring, in fact 2 HD5770s is about equal to a single HD5850.
But, your budget will have to determine this choice.

Now, pay attention : (important)
you are planning to XFire your system. The 550W is "no longer sufficient". Get 750W for 2 HD5770s or 2 HD5850s.

silentmemories

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2010
Is the power usage really this big? Budget's quite tight right now so I don't think I can spend any more, and I have gone $200 above the budget.

Is it possible to switch the PSU later on if I want to XFire?

Hmmm...you want my honest opinion?
No! You pay for 2 cards and pay double for the electricity bill of your cards but you don't get double performance.
I built XFire or SLI for other people but not for me.

But the thing is, if you are playing hardcore games such as crysis, etc. on high resolution (high res is needed on big monitors, low res on big monitor is a torture for my eyes), you are going to need the XFire/SLI thing to get decent frame rate.

silentmemories

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2010
If I want to play games like Assassin's Creed 2 on medium high, is it unnecessary to go SLIing right now?

My standard for graphics in games is quite low as I have been playing games mainly on my laptop for the past few years.

So the best option would be to get the 750W later and possibly reuse the older PSU for something else then if I want to save money.

For installing hard drives into the case, do I need to buy any enclosures or wrap anything around the hard drive before putting it into the HD bay in the case?

1. Xfire, you can make them anytime you want if the mobo and PSU support it. No need to do it right away, just prepare the infrastructure. AC2 is not heavy, no need for Xfire. If you meet problems with games, just reduce the resolution.
BTW : ATI GPUs are XFire GPUs...not possible for SLI.

2. No problems for installing HDDS, no need to buy anything extra. Just a screw driver.

silentmemories

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2010
Yes-I understand that XFire is the term for ATI GPUs, while SLI is for nVidia's.

What about the fans? Is it necessary to buy extra fans for the build or is it fine with the ones that come with the case, as well as the heatsink on the CPU and fans on the GPU?

silentmemories

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2010
Alright. Is it good to use a SSD for a boot drive and have your other programs in another? Some people suggested it but I'm afraid C:\ might fill up too quickly if all my programs are installed there.

Well...you will gain 100% advantage if you install all programs on the SSD, and in order to maintain SSDs live (reducing writing activities) and also because of the relatively small capacity of SSDs, you will have to put your data on a bigger capacity mechanical HDD.
SSD will improve your system significantly but if you are short of money to get an SSD which has enough capacity for you, you can always add it anytime later on, so...no hurry..
You will need ideally about 60-120GB space for the OS and programs.