Sign in with
Your question

Hey just wanted advice on ths pc im throwing together

Last response: in CPUs
November 22, 2010 7:46:39 AM

Hello,
hey im throwing together a low range Amd duel core just to play basic games because my mate was getting rid of a ASrock ALiveNF7G-FullHD mother board ,i was reading the spec's on it and it said if i was to put a am3 cpu into it it would automatically downgrade the cpu speed because it runs am2. so the question is i was going to buy a AMD phenom II 3.2mhz cpu is it worth getting a better cpu or should i just get a basic cpu because it wont improve the pc's performance anyway.
a b à CPUs
November 22, 2010 8:03:47 AM

Why do you want to start a Franken build?It isnt so recommended to use old parts on a newer computer parts..
Related resources
November 22, 2010 10:11:33 AM

just as something to do. i have the mother board sitting there and i just want to put it together with some stuff i have. i got it free. my old computer crashed so just as a short term franken computer until i can upgrade really.
a c 96 à CPUs
a b À AMD
November 22, 2010 10:33:03 AM

jonesy86 said:
Hello,
hey im throwing together a low range Amd duel core just to play basic games because my mate was getting rid of a ASrock ALiveNF7G-FullHD mother board ,i was reading the spec's on it and it said if i was to put a am3 cpu into it it would automatically downgrade the cpu speed because it runs am2. so the question is i was going to buy a AMD phenom II 3.2mhz cpu is it worth getting a better cpu or should i just get a basic cpu because it wont improve the pc's performance anyway.

Reading comprehension fail.

November 22, 2010 12:43:13 PM

Well i wouldn't of asked if knew what i was doing let alone new what i was talking about . if you are that quick to criticize maybe be constructive in some way or change your user name to English teacher (joking) . so basically in a nut shell what i meant was i have a old mother board that is a AM2 ddr2 board. i was going to throw a better quality am3 or CPU chip in it but i am guessing its not worth doing because the bus speed will slow back to am2 .but in no expert in computer hardware or literacy lol . i will just use a generic or basic range CPU.
a b à CPUs
November 22, 2010 2:19:12 PM

jonesy86 said:
Well i wouldn't of asked if knew what i was doing let alone new what i was talking about . if you are that quick to criticize maybe be constructive in some way or change your user name to English teacher (joking) . so basically in a nut shell what i meant was i have a old mother board that is a AM2 ddr2 board. i was going to throw a better quality am3 or CPU chip in it but i am guessing its not worth doing because the bus speed will slow back to am2 .but in no expert in computer hardware or literacy lol . i will just use a generic or basic range CPU.

Using old hardware is like asking for trouble..Why waste alot of money on one piece of hardware?Yes it may work but in reality it isnt worth it.
a c 96 à CPUs
a b À AMD
November 22, 2010 6:02:21 PM

jonesy86 said:

What you said ...

Quote:
i was reading the spec's on it and it said if i was to put a am3 cpu into it it would automatically downgrade the cpu speed because it runs am2

From your link ...

Quote:
*If you use AM3 / AM2+ CPU on AM2 chipset motherboard, the system bus speed will downgrade from HT3.0 (5200 MT/s) to HT1.0 (2000 MT/s), but the CPU frequency will not be influenced.

If all you are purchasing is the CPU, the AM3 PhII 945 quad is on sale at NewEgg for $126 with Promo Code
EMCZZNN26. It should work fine with that mobo but check for CPU support.

The PhII 945 could then move to a new AM3 motherboard, or better yet, an upcoming AM3+ motherboard (probably late Spring) which will also be compatible with the next gen AMD enthusiast desktop processor, Bulldozer Zambezi
a c 96 à CPUs
a b À AMD
November 22, 2010 7:05:18 PM

Bummer.

Maybe an X2 Kuma would work -- or a Brisbane/Windsor X2. He could find one of those around for $40 or so.

It would work fine for *FullHD* (whatever that is - LOL - 1080p?) and surfing around.
a b à CPUs
November 22, 2010 8:38:10 PM

Isn't the Kuma just a Phenom II disguised as an Athlon II?

Anyway the Athlon II 7750 is listed, Kuma core.

I had a 7850 which was a good cpu, did 3.2ghz OC'd, its not listed but if the 7750's ok then the 7850 should be as well.

When I got my Phenom II 555 I benched them both @3.2 with surprisingly similar results.

From site - ◦Supports Full HD 1080p Blu-ray (BD) / HD-DVD playback with DVI-D port
!