What is the best video card for my motherboard?

ry19966

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2010
This is my motherboard and im wondering what would be the best graphics card to get with this video card or if would just be better to get a whole new motherboard. I saw this but I'm not sure if it is compatible. I want a graphics card for gaming. Mostly for WoW.

Solution
Option 1: $320AR, great GPU, DX11, power efficient and should handle most games just fine.
Mobo+CPU $130
GPU+RAM $190AR

Option 2, $282AR Slightly weaker graphics performance, only DX10 higher power consumption .
same Mobo+CPU combo $130
RAM $82
GPU $70AR

Option 3, $293AR better single threaded performance for games like SC2, everything else carried from option 2.
CPU+Mobo $141
RAM $82
GPU $70AR

Do you have any microcenters near you? They have pretty good CPU/Mobo combos, you can go take a look.
Also, you could sell your old board/CPU/RAM for $40-80, there's quite a niche for 939 hardware actually.

borisof007

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2010
The card would work just fine, as the card is PCI-Express and you have a PCI-Express x 16 slot available.

The only thing is that you have a PCI-Express 1.0 slot and the card is PCI-E 2.0. The card will still work, you'll just have a reduction in performance slightly.

Additionally, make sure you have enough power from your power supply to power that card.

Helltech

Distinguished

Yeah, I'd agree with the 460. However what is your power supply?

Timop

Distinguished
Id say upgrade the rest of your system first, 939 CPUs are relatively slow to today's standards, especial single core versions. You'll see a major improvements upgrading the CPU/Mobo for WOW.

That GTX460 in that system would be horribly bottlenecked.

ry19966

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2010
bumpso my best bet would be just to get a new motherboard? Also memory refresher CPU is built into the motherboard right? my power supply says Win-400ps with that info should i get a new power supply too?Also memory refresher CPU is built into the motherboard right?

Timop

Distinguished
You really just need a new CPU and more RAM, as your old ones are holding you back a lot, but in order to change the CPU you have to change the mobo as AMD no longer produces CPUs for the 939 socket. As part of the package, you'll also need new DDR2/DDR3 RAM due the fact your old mobo supports only 2GB, and the fact that new mobos no longer support DDR. Its gong to be alot faster also.

Whats your total budget for these? $300 can get you a long way nowadays.

Timop

Distinguished
Option 1: $320AR, great GPU, DX11, power efficient and should handle most games just fine.
Mobo+CPU $130
GPU+RAM $190AR

Option 2, $282AR Slightly weaker graphics performance, only DX10 higher power consumption .
same Mobo+CPU combo $130
RAM $82
GPU $70AR

Option 3, $293AR better single threaded performance for games like SC2, everything else carried from option 2.
CPU+Mobo $141
RAM $82
GPU $70AR

Do you have any microcenters near you? They have pretty good CPU/Mobo combos, you can go take a look.
Also, you could sell your old board/CPU/RAM for $40-80, there's quite a niche for 939 hardware actually.

Solution

Timop

Distinguished

Whoops, kinda forgot that, sorry.

That PSU wont be enough unfortunately. Heres one that should power either setup just fine for $30.

Timop

Distinguished

Yeah, but is an really old model that focuses mainly on the +5v rail, Both GPUs and CPUs nowadays draws power off the 12V rail, which makes your old power supply only only a "200W" to todays standards, and this one twice as powerful.

Timop

Distinguished

It will run on the Antec just fine, its a pretty good PSU. 450W is just a general estimate for those not-so-well PSUs.
But spending more on a higher rated PSU does help with the longetivity of the PSU somewhat.