Last response: in CPUs
November 22, 2010 9:00:45 AM

My PC specs are:
Intel Core 2 Duo 6400 @2.13 Ghz
3 GB of Ram
Nvidia GeForce 9800 GT

My OS is:
Window XP SP 3

First of all what happened was that I got a BSOD. I solved it by using a registry cleaner and removing a defective RAM. The next thing that happened was, I got a CMOS batt failure. I solved it by buying a new CMOS battery.

My problem is this:

Every program I install especially games gets a corrupted file error in the middle of the install. I tried all my games in my brother's computer and it has no problems, corrupted files or errors.

What I did was replug the RAM and video card, do a scan for viruses, do chkdsk, and defrag but it did not solve the problem :( 

I'm not really a techy kind of guy so thats all I know, I think there is problem with my CPU, OS, or something, could you help me guys out? Thanks. I have been repairing this for almost 3 weeks now and I'm really frustrated :( 
a b à CPUs
November 22, 2010 9:09:02 AM

Did you try a new DVD drive?
Usually when I used to get such problems it happened to be my CD-DVD Drive problem, I really couldn't solve it until I replaced the Drive, even my fresh windows install kept giving me corrupt file problems nothing was wrong with the discs and nothing was wrong with the PC, just the stupid CD-DVD drive, try that, I think it might solve your problem.
Sometimes the solution is elementary and sometimes way beyond us.....
Score
November 22, 2010 9:26:22 AM

alyoshka said:
Did you try a new DVD drive?
Usually when I used to get such problems it happened to be my CD-DVD Drive problem, I really couldn't solve it until I replaced the Drive, even my fresh windows install kept giving me corrupt file problems nothing was wrong with the discs and nothing was wrong with the PC, just the stupid CD-DVD drive, try that, I think it might solve your problem.
Sometimes the solution is elementary and sometimes way beyond us.....

Though you may have a point, but I've tried it on two DVD drives in my PC sadly with no success :(  I've also tried watching movies in my PC with no problems, just the installing of some apps and games.
Score
Related resources
a b à CPUs
November 22, 2010 9:39:48 AM

Ok, then I'd suggest removing 1GB of RAM from the Board and just leaving either 2 identical 1GB sticks on it or if you have 512s get them out....
Just use 2GB RAM.... make sure you have 1 or 2 slots full and not an uneven number.
Score
November 22, 2010 1:00:49 PM

No luck with removing the ram :( 

@ malmental
Installing apps and games from disks.
Score
November 22, 2010 1:30:22 PM

Yes playing movies and listening to songs on CD/DVDs is fine. The problem is only when installing games/apps, every program I installed pops up and error/corrupted file. It does work on my bro's computer though.

BTW, I did solve the BSOD problems but sometimes my browser crashes. I don't know if this is in correlation with the installation problem.
Score
a b à CPUs
November 22, 2010 2:00:03 PM

How is your harddrive?Try taking out your harddrive and putting it in your bro pc..Then try the cd drive and put in your bro computer..
If both of them work then maybe you have a problem with something else..
Score
a b à CPUs
November 22, 2010 2:45:20 PM

Quote:
I'm wanting to troubleshoot a little too but swapping active HDD's will not work unless the units are identical.
do you have another HDD for testing.?

Elaborate..
Score

Best solution

a b à CPUs
November 22, 2010 3:06:00 PM

Quote:
Every program I install especially games gets a corrupted file error in the middle of the install. I tried all my games in my brother's computer and it has no problems, corrupted files or errors.

Quote:
BTW, I did solve the BSOD problems but sometimes my browser crashes. I don't know if this is in correlation with the installation problem.

Either the HD is going, or you still have bad RAM. The install problem you speak of happened to me once; turned out to be bad RAM that never BSOD'd. The browser crashing also points to potential bad RAM.

I'd guess either you have a bad sector on the HD, or more likely, you have a bad RAM stick, with the error in just the right spot where nothing OS critical ever gets stored, but when using memory intensive tasks (installs/browsing) you can get crashes.
a b à CPUs
November 22, 2010 4:15:09 PM

Quote:
taking out the HDD and inserting into his brother's unit will not work unless both units are the same.
then it will possibly boot.
he's going to need a HDD for testing that he can format.

I dont understand what has to be the same..The amount if memory, the speed,blah blah blah.
Score
a b à CPUs
November 22, 2010 4:27:15 PM

So in other word you would have two OS?
So if they had different motherboards they wouldnt boot? because the hdd would not recognize the motherboard due to the fact because of the existing OS which is still installed in the HD?
Score
a b à CPUs
November 22, 2010 4:51:56 PM

Quote:
yes, two OS's one for each motherboard.
different motherboards will not boot because HDD from other motherboard is configured for that motherboard's chipset and configuration.

Thanks alot for that information.
Score
a b à CPUs
November 22, 2010 6:23:43 PM

If you haven't recently, run a memory test.

Right now, based on the randomness, either the OS is corrupted, you have a bad HD, or a bad stick of RAM. I'd be surprised if its anything else based on your described symptoms.
Score
November 23, 2010 9:46:53 AM

Hmm, so I need to isolate the bad RAM. Ok I'll try that first. It seems reasonable thought instead of formatting my PC. Do you recommend testing the RAM sticks one by one or do you guys have a special program/software recommended for checking the RAM?

BTW, testing my HDD on my brother's PC is out of the question hehehe. My brother won't let me touch his PC :) 
Score
a b à CPUs
November 23, 2010 9:58:47 AM

Use MemTest to test each stick of RAM and then if you get a faulty one , keep it away and use the other sticks together and test using memtest again....
Score
a b à CPUs
November 23, 2010 10:17:49 AM

Hi Sniper Wolf,

Also, a test that would be a good idea to try is: HDtune, it is a free download and can run simple tests to check the health of your PC's hard drive. If you are using a Western Digital, they also have a program you can download form thier site to check the health of your harddrive.
Score
a b à CPUs
November 23, 2010 11:37:09 AM

One thing at a time. As I said, it COULD be the HD, but I'd expect a BSOD reporting a bad sector, or some SMART warning, not random crashes.

RAM is easy to test, and the obvious likly culprit, so lets prove thats not the problem.

Generally, its recommended to test one stick at a time with memtest86.
Score
November 23, 2010 12:20:37 PM

Ok I've determined the bad memory. I can install files now without a problem. I'm in an observation mode right now. Hopefully my PC will be stable without BSOD or errors. Thanks for all the help guys. You guys really are the best :) 

BTW, a quick question. Does a 3 GB RAM differ from a 4 GB RAM running in XP 32 bit, seeing that the XP 32 bit can only read up to a certain point of 3GB RAM?
Score
a b à CPUs
November 23, 2010 12:24:06 PM

Glad to hear that, so how much RAM are you finally using and how much turned out to be Bad?
Score
November 23, 2010 12:28:29 PM

alyoshka said:
Glad to hear that, so how much RAM are you finally using and how much turned out to be Bad?

Actually, I have 5 GB all in all here. 4 GB was previously installed and 2 GB was bad. I placed a 5th one which is also 1 GB, so it turned out to be 3 GB running in my PC.

BTW, a quick question. Does a 3 GB RAM differ from a 4 GB RAM running in XP 32 bit, seeing that the XP 32 bit can only read up to a certain point of 3GB RAM?
Score
November 23, 2010 12:39:35 PM

What about the loading speed difference?
Score
a b à CPUs
November 23, 2010 12:51:30 PM

If you are running Windows XP SP3 32-bit, then you will only be able to access a maximum of 3.5 GB of RAM. It's the 32-bit memory addressing limitation. This is also true if you move to Windows 7 32-bit. The only way around this issue is to go to 64-bit, but then you have to deal with a whole new set of headaches if you have any older peripherals that don't have 64-bit drivers. Catch 22.

At current, 3.5 GB is more than enough for the casual user. Anyone who is doing graphic or video would feel the pinch when they have more and more applications open at the same time. For instance, in my line of work, I can have as many as 8-12 applications all open at the same time, along with any number of IDEs and several VMs up and running for conformance testing in alternate environments. I would feel the pinch if I had only 12 GB of RAM, let alone 3.5 GB. But I am not an average user.
Score
a b à CPUs
November 23, 2010 1:24:39 PM

Don't worry about the 3 or 4 GB thing, you have more than enough RAM for the OS.
Boot time is not going to see any difference because of Lesser RAM, so no worries.
Score
November 23, 2010 3:18:37 PM

Best answer selected by Sniper Wolf.
Score
November 23, 2010 3:19:50 PM

alyoshka said:
Don't worry about the 3 or 4 GB thing, you have more than enough RAM for the OS.
Boot time is not going to see any difference because of Lesser RAM, so no worries.

Its not the booting time I'm worried about, but the loading time in games actually.
Score
a b à CPUs
November 23, 2010 4:33:34 PM

Game loading time is dependent on your disk i/o, since you are loading the program and libraries off the hard drive and into memory. For instance, if you have the game loaded already, when you enter a new zone or join a game on a new map, then your computer has to load the map, models and textures off your hard drive if it hasn't already been cached into memory. For this, you would see a dramatic performance improvement if you went to an SSD as opposed to a hard drive, more so than you would experience by upgrading CPUs or memory, as long as you have more than 2 GB.
Score
a b à CPUs
November 23, 2010 5:07:07 PM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Score
!