Sign in with
Your question

Some software won`t connect to internet

Last response: in Networking
April 15, 2010 10:31:35 AM

Hi,i was using Advanced SistemCare and when i was asked if i wanted to update the programm i clicked yes,internet explorer then did try to load but never did so,i didn`t get any error message, just saying connecting... but never did; i can open the browser without problem, is just the above software and some others..like..UltimateDefrag ,WinZip,ect, that can`t connect to update or to go to their website;i recently installed Nokia PCsuite in my computer and i thought was that causing the problem so i removed it with all his leftovers,then i thought that the firewall (ZoneAlarm) settings somehow changed, so i removed the firewall and reinstalled,,still no solution; i then run Windows Installer Cleanup Utility ,i checked the volume for errors,i restarted the computer
with Last Good Configuration that worked and...i can`t remember what else i did but i still got this issue;
i`ive got XP home edition,Service Pack 3; running AVG free edition,Spybot Search & Destroy,ZoneAlarm firewall;
has anyone got any idea what `s causing the problem
thanks
regards
April 15, 2010 11:46:39 AM

A lot of viruses will not allow certain sites to be visited.
I also was running AVG free and still got a nasty TDSS rootkit bug.
m
l
April 16, 2010 6:04:25 PM

Try doing a spyware scan using Spybot or HijackThis.

They're both free but HijackThis can be a little trickier to use than Spybot.
m
l
Related resources
April 16, 2010 11:30:03 PM

i`ve done a full scan with a few antispyware and malware; they all found threats which i got rid of but i still have the problem
m
l
May 9, 2010 9:11:08 PM

Try to disable your AVG and firewall and try from there.

If it still persists, reboot your machine into safe mode with networking and try it from there. That should give you a good base to know whats going on.
m
l
!