Sign in with
Your question

Wireless connection problem

Last response: in Wireless Networking
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
July 14, 2010 5:22:52 AM

I had a hme wireless network running fine with two laptops and an iPod touch working fine. I brought my work computer home and tried to connect to the wireless network. It asked for acess point so I entered number on bottom of router then it asked for network name and password. It worked fine. However, now my other laptops won't connect and they say they can't connect because of certificate issues. Any ideas about what I screwedup would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
July 14, 2010 9:37:37 AM

Check the computers' TCP/IP Properties.

Start, Connect To, Connection, Properties, Scroll Down TCP/IP and highlight, click Properties and check that Obtain DNS and IP address automatically are enabled.

However, as the issue affects two computers it's more likely in the router.

Connect a computer to the router with an ethernet cable.

See the literature which came with your router for how to access the user setup screens in the router. Once in, go to wireless security and review or renew the wireless security type and password. WPA PSK TKIP is the most common security type in use.

Go to wireless mode and ensure that it's set to a protocol matching your computer's wireless adapter (mixed mode is a safe bet). Have a look for a feature called something like Access List -- it filters access to the network by including or excluding computers by the unique MAC ID. Disable that feature.

Save settings and exit the router user interface (log off).

Disconnect ethernet cable.

Go to the computer's wireless networking setup screen and see if you can detect the router's SSID (wireless call sign). Select that network.

Apply the wireless security type and password to the computer's wireless networking setup screen.
July 14, 2010 3:06:20 PM

Quote:
I had a hme wireless network running fine with two laptops and an iPod touch working fine. I brought my work computer home and tried to connect to the wireless network. It asked for acess point so I entered number on bottom of router then it asked for network name and password. It worked fine. However, now my other laptops won't connect and they say they can't connect because of certificate issues. Any ideas about what I screwedup would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Do you Have Mac Filtering Turned ON with a Hardware List? That means you have to put pc name specifcally and mac address so only those Nodes are able to connect. I would turn mac address off than add whatever nodes you want to connect to the router than Check turn-on mac adress filtering.

I would see if the Laptops Network Interface Cards you are trying to connect support WEP 1.0 or 2.0-WPA 1.0 or 2.0. You might need to pick an encryption protocol that all Network Cards Support!
Related resources
July 16, 2010 12:14:40 AM

Im getting a wireless signal but cant connect, what should I do someone? HELP!!!
July 16, 2010 12:26:53 AM

Narcop You Need to be more specific what is wrong with your connection, my Solution above could apply to you as well!
!