Cannot logon to limited accounts

June 29, 2005 10:51:02 PM

I have a new (4 mos) HP Pavillion desktop with XP Home SP2. I set up 2
limited user accounts, and it seemed fine at first, but today I tried logging
onto both of them and neither would log on. When I click on the icon, it
says "loading Personal Settings" and then immediately switches to "logging
off" with no reported errors. If I change the accounts to "Administrator",
they work fine.

I deleted the accounts, deleted the user directories and files, and
recreated the accounts, to no effect. Theres a knowledge base article that
describes a similar problem, but it's 3 years old and the hotfix doesn't
apply once service packs are installed.

Help?

More about : logon limited accounts

July 9, 2005 6:36:52 AM

"" wrote:
> I have a new (4 mos) HP Pavillion desktop with XP Home SP2. I
> set up 2
> limited user accounts, and it seemed fine at first, but today
> I tried logging
> onto both of them and neither would log on. When I click on
> the icon, it
> says "loading Personal Settings" and then immediately switches
> to "logging
> off" with no reported errors. If I change the accounts to
> "Administrator",
> they work fine.
>
> I deleted the accounts, deleted the user directories and
> files, and
> recreated the accounts, to no effect. Theres a knowledge base
> article that
> describes a similar problem, but it's 3 years old and the
> hotfix doesn't
> apply once service packs are installed.
>
> Help?

you have a rights issue in your HKLM. there is some thing loading and
changing a registry key in HKLM, I’ll bet.. prop some Malware of
somekind. remove all things from the RUN key in your HKLM and Default
user... Hell Recrate your default user. if that does not work then
..... the dreded rebuild.... it is a secuirty issue someware...
something is running, that should not be. It could be in your defalut
user. (this would be why it fails when u make new users, it could be
something you have running at load time.. even some admin tools will
make this happen expeshaly olderones.

good luck....
but hopfully u canfind it

Topic URL: http://www.windowsforumz.com/Configuration-Manage-logon...