Closed

Need advice for in/out fan arrangement for Elite 430 case

Last response: in Components
Anonymous
November 22, 2010 9:22:34 AM

I have this case: http://www.coolermaster.com/product.php?product_id=6654

Fans:
Cooler Master 120mm 1000rpm (Might be 1200) blue LED fan x 1
Scythe DFS123812-3000 "ULTRA KAZE" 120 x 38 mm Case Fan x 2 NEWEGG LINK: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=35-185-...
And 1 CPU Heatsink fan described below

Motherboard and CPU cooler:
ASRock 870 EXTREME3
Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus (with one 600-2000 rpm PWM 120mm fan)

Planning to buy a 650w PSU, Phenom II x4 CPU, two 2GB ram sticks, and a GTX 460 768MB GPU.

The computer case will be about 2 inches away from the wall (back and side without the transparent side panel).

I am planning on doing some overclocking (just CPU for now).

Need some recommendations on what the placements for the current fans should be (including CPU heatsink fan) and if I should buy any more for 15-40% overclocking.
November 22, 2010 9:57:52 AM

Wow those fans move a lot of air (and are also noisy, but hey if you don't mind).

With CPU cooling as priority number 1, I'd place a fan in the rear slot and a fan in the top slot towards the back. Also make sure you have your CPU fan running at a decent speed.
Score
Anonymous
November 22, 2010 10:16:38 AM

Mark Heath said:
Wow those fans move a lot of air (and are also noisy, but hey if you don't mind).

With CPU cooling as priority number 1, I'd place a fan in the rear slot and a fan in the top slot towards the back. Also make sure you have your CPU fan running at a decent speed.

So two 3000-rpm monsters on rear and top-back performing exhaust and the CM 1000-rpm fan at the front for intake? Which way should the CPU heatsink fan be facing, back or front? Also, should I purchase a 2000rpm 120mm blue LED fan to fit on the side panel for exhaust+make case look more perty?

The PSU will be doing most of the intake correct?
Score
Related resources
November 22, 2010 11:08:19 AM

Yep. For which way the heatsink should face... I dunno you could experiment to find the best temps if you want.

As far as I can tell in the 430, the PSU's airflow is isolated from the rest of the computer. The PSU intake faces down and exhausts to the rear, thus keeping the PSU nice and cool :sol: 

If you're interested in lots of airflow, then it doesn't hurt to get a couple more of those Scythes (those massive CFM ones) unfortunately there are few high CFM fans of high quality that also have LEDs, but you could add something like this to make things a bit pretty. Up to you I suppose.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
Score
Anonymous
November 22, 2010 12:57:11 PM

Mark Heath said:
Yep. For which way the heatsink should face... I dunno you could experiment to find the best temps if you want.

As far as I can tell in the 430, the PSU's airflow is isolated from the rest of the computer. The PSU intake faces down and exhausts to the rear, thus keeping the PSU nice and cool :sol: 

If you're interested in lots of airflow, then it doesn't hurt to get a couple more of those Scythes (those massive CFM ones) unfortunately there are few high CFM fans of high quality that also have LEDs, but you could add something like this to make things a bit pretty. Up to you I suppose.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

What about 1 Scythe fan (133 CFM) at the front for intake, 1 Scythe fan (133 CFM) at the rear for outtake, 1 Cooler Master fan (40 CFM) on the side panel for outtake, and 1 Thermaltake 120mm fan (70 CFM) at the top of the case for outtake?

Will using just that one 133 CFM for pulling air in be ok with air at 243 CFM coming out? Is there a standard ratio for air coming in and out?

Quoted from two articles:
"A person with high cfm exhaust fans who doesn't have proper sized intake openings for his case can actually cause a slight vacuum inside the case and prevent the psu from getting enough air because it is being held back by that vacuum causing the psu to overheat."

"If there isn't any available air, it creates a pocket of heat directly around your heatsink. No air means the heat gets stuck in the heatsink. Essentially, you might as well be trying to run your machine without any fans at all."

Should I be worried about that with my current airflow design?
Score
a b à CPUs
November 22, 2010 3:32:54 PM

HIGH CFM's - ahem :)  get three fans to do exhaust in your case and get 2 fans to do intake in your case.

Placements -
1 intake at the front of case
1 intake at the bottom of the case just after the PSU opening
1 exhaust at the rear of the case/ above the mobo I/O's
2 exhaust at the top of the case

as stated in the image:

heres a rule of thumb for intake and exhaust fan placement.

1| Have the same amount of intake as exhaust, this wont cause a vacuum and you'll always have the intake supplying cool air into your case while the exhaust fans take away the heat.

2| make sure you have your Fan CFM's calculated - or at least how much goes in and how much goes out. Having a high CFM intake and a low CFM exhaust will leave some hot air to circulate in the case. Having a low CFM intake and a low cfm exhaust will cause a partial vacuum and cause any heat to be quickly taken away. In your PC case you can take advantage of having a low CFM intake and get the high CFM exhausts to take away the heat.

Regarding your CM hyper - set the fan/cooler to blow towards the exhaust fans to the rear. Any heat coming from your ram will be minimal to raise the CPU temps. But if you had the fan/cooler blowing air to the top , you'll add the GPU's heat to the mix and get unstable OC's as the fan/coler placed above the GPU will pull its heat into the HSF and raise temps.
Score
Anonymous
November 22, 2010 4:13:15 PM

Lutfij said:
HIGH CFM's - ahem :)  get three fans to do exhaust in your case and get 2 fans to do intake in your case.

Placements -
1 intake at the front of case
1 intake at the bottom of the case just after the PSU opening
1 exhaust at the rear of the case/ above the mobo I/O's
2 exhaust at the top of the case

as stated in the image:http://www.coolermaster.com/upload/product_feature/Web-430.jpg

heres a rule of thumb for intake and exhaust fan placement.

1| Have the same amount of intake as exhaust, this wont cause a vacuum and you'll always have the intake supplying cool air into your case while the exhaust fans take away the heat.

2| make sure you have your Fan CFM's calculated - or at least how much goes in and how much goes out. Having a high CFM intake and a low CFM exhaust will leave some hot air to circulate in the case. Having a low CFM intake and a low cfm exhaust will cause a partial vacuum and cause any heat to be quickly taken away. In your PC case you can take advantage of having a low CFM intake and get the high CFM exhausts to take away the heat.

Regarding your CM hyper - set the fan/cooler to blow towards the exhaust fans to the rear. Any heat coming from your ram will be minimal to raise the CPU temps. But if you had the fan/cooler blowing air to the top , you'll add the GPU's heat to the mix and get unstable OC's as the fan/coler placed above the GPU will pull its heat into the HSF and raise temps.

One 133 CFM fan at the front for intake, 1 133 CFM fan at the rear for outtake, 1 40 CFM fan on the side panel for outtake, 1 70 CFM at the top of the case for outtake, and 1 fan at the bottom at 90-100 CFM
= 223 Intake and 243 Outtake = GTG (this is using just 1 fan at the top for exhaust and not 2 as suggested)?
Or should I just not bother with a side fan and instead get a lower CFM rating fan for intake (such as a 70 or 80 CFM fan) mounted at the bottom?
Score
a b à CPUs
November 22, 2010 4:19:23 PM

Quote:
In your PC case you can take advantage of having a low CFM intake and get the high CFM exhausts to take away the heat.

this means although you have less air coming IN your having a partial vacuum cos of the air going OUT
Score
Anonymous
November 22, 2010 5:45:20 PM

Anonymous said:
One 133 CFM fan at the front for intake, 1 133 CFM fan at the rear for outtake, 1 40 CFM fan on the side panel for outtake, 1 70 CFM at the top of the case for outtake, and 1 fan at the bottom at 90-100 CFM
= 223 Intake and 243 Outtake = GTG (this is using just 1 fan at the top for exhaust and not 2 as suggested)?
Or should I just not bother with a side fan and instead get a lower CFM rating fan for intake (such as a 70 or 80 CFM fan) mounted at the bottom?

Lutfij said:
Quote:
In your PC case you can take advantage of having a low CFM intake and get the high CFM exhausts to take away the heat.

this means although you have less air coming IN your having a partial vacuum cos of the air going OUT

Need your feedback on that fan setup. If you have a better idea then please do let me know, but it must be using the 2 133 CFM fans (Newegg shipped them today) and the 40 CFM can be replaced with something that will benefit me more.

Appreciate it once more.
Score
a b à CPUs
November 22, 2010 5:52:37 PM

lets go by this again:

how many fans are you buying?
what fans are you placing and where they'll be placed?
to be clearer - please post the CFM's next to the fans

:p  long night here in bangladesh ... gotta get some sleep :) 

so lets get this thread going :D 
Score
Anonymous
November 22, 2010 6:05:17 PM

Lutfij said:
lets go by this again:

how many fans are you buying?
what fans are you placing and where they'll be placed?

:p  long night here in bangladesh ... gotta get some sleep :) 

so lets get this thread going :D 

how many fans are you buying? As much as needed for the two 133 CFM
what fans are you placing and where they'll be placed? That is where you come in.

My plan:
= 223 Intake and 243 Outtake. Will that do?

P.S.
they are all 120mm fans and only 3 can connect to the MOBO so the rest will be powered by PSU until I can afford the opt. fan controller.
Sorry if I made it ambiguous at any point--I haven't slept for quite some time now.

Score
a b à CPUs
November 22, 2010 6:15:28 PM

you have any preference towards LED fans or CFM or both?

:)  my beds calling me as well bro - so lets get this moving on

Yate loons are a great choice for most case modders as they are silent and move some serious air. In their places you have the cooler master series fans - Excalibur and the R4's. Thermaltake fans are a Big no no. I have a thunderblade - it made sooo much noise i modded the molex and third wire pin into a 3pin mobo fan header and set my fan to silent running in BIOS.

Since they are all 120 mm fans. You can swap the existing fans with the new fans - i'd go for that as the newer fans - depending on choice will have 3-4 pin fan headers instead of molex pins...

EDIT - i just noticed you ordered kaze's no matter they are awesome wind tunnel machines! :D 
Score
Anonymous
November 22, 2010 6:19:26 PM

Lutfij said:
you have any preference towards LED fans or CFM or both?

:)  my beds calling me as well bro - so lets get this moving on

Yate loons are a great choice for most case modders as they are silent and move some serious air. In their places you have the cooler master series fans - Excalibur and the R4's. Thermaltake fans are a Big no no. I have a thunderblade - it made sooo much noise i modded the molex and third wire pin into a 3pin mobo fan header and set my fan to silent running in BIOS.

Since they are all 120 mm fans. You can swap the existing fans with the new fans - i'd go for that as the newer fans - depending on choice will have 3-4 pin fan headers instead of molex pins...

you have any preference towards LED fans or CFM or both? Nope

I also do not care about the dBA.

I'm thinking about connecting the 133 CFM fans to the mobo so that i can adjust the speed for a quieter atmosphere and the rest of the fans can be connected to the psu.

So we're on the same page, I currently have 2 133 CFM fans, 1 40 CFM fan (can be replaced as it is a weak fan), and the rest I need your advice for (including intake and exhaust setup with the case and what fan should I use for side panel, if any).
Score
a b à CPUs
November 22, 2010 6:32:58 PM

You need 6 and you've ordered 2 so here are the rest you can choose from:

1| COOLER MASTER Excalibur R4-EXBB-20PK-R0 120mm Case Fan
2| Sharkoon SE 120MM 120mm Case Fan
3| ZALMAN SF3 120mm Shark's Fin Blade ELQ (EverLasting Quiet) Bearing Case Fan
4| ARCTIC COOLING AF12Pro PWM 120mm Case Fan (but only as an exhaust, it has issues being mounted as an intake fan

please note that the recommendations are high end - they are really good and one thing to remember, noise vs cfm. When you have a lot of air hitting the fan blades it moves the air but with alot of noise. Have the fans move slower, you move less air between the blade but you have less dB.

I'd go with the excalibur for top exhaust fans -
2 exhaust at top

the zalman's as intake -
1 at the front and 1 at the bottom of case

the sharkoons can be used on the Hyper 212+ cooelr cos of the golf ball dimple tech.

:)  sound good?
Score
Anonymous
November 22, 2010 6:35:19 PM

Lutfij said:
You need 6 and you've ordered 2 so here are the rest you can choose from:

1| COOLER MASTER Excalibur R4-EXBB-20PK-R0 120mm Case Fan
2| Sharkoon SE 120MM 120mm Case Fan
3| ZALMAN SF3 120mm Shark's Fin Blade ELQ (EverLasting Quiet) Bearing Case Fan
4| ARCTIC COOLING AF12Pro PWM 120mm Case Fan (but only as an exhaust, it has issues being mounted as an intake fan

please note that the recommendations are high end - they are really good and one thing to remember, noise vs cfm. When you have a lot of air hitting the fan blades it moves the air but with alot of noise. Have the fans move slower, you move less air between the blade but you have less dB.

I'd go with the excalibur for top exhaust fans -
2 exhaust at top

the zalman's as intake -
1 at the front and 1 at the bottom of case

the sharkoons can be used on the Hyper 212+ cooelr cos of the golf ball dimple tech.

:)  sound good?

What about my side panel <<< only thing I'm still unsure of what to do to (it will be right above the video card).
For now, I will be using headphones with noise cancelation when gaming so it shouldn't be that much of a prob. but I will consider upgrading in the future to some quieter fans.
Score

Best solution

a b à CPUs
November 22, 2010 6:43:56 PM

Yeah I counted 6 in all , including the side panel. IF it accepts a 120mm fan - get the Exaclibur - aesthetically it'll go wid the case adn you have the CFM you need. You do the math. My eyes are half closed now :p  but you'll have fans left over from the Hyper and the case right...why not use them.

I'm curious did you ORDER the scythe fans?

Don't constantly shift money for fans - i prefer builds to be one off apart from REAL upgrades to hardware. Thus keep money saving measures in hand :)  buy the fans and forget about them, thas the point of doing SOOO much research wid these newegg buys :D  another thought - get a pair of sharkoons for the Hyper 212+ and have them in [Pull<Hyper212+<Push] setup
Anonymous
November 22, 2010 6:53:20 PM

Lutfij said:
Yeah I counted 6 in all , including the side panel. IF it accepts a 120mm fan - get the Exaclibur - aesthetically it'll go wid the case adn you have the CFM you need. You do the math. My eyes are half closed now :p  but you'll have fans left over from the Hyper and the case right...why not use them.

I'm curious did you ORDER the scythe fans?

Don't constantly shift money for fans - i prefer builds to be one off apart from REAL upgrades to hardware. Thus keep money saving measures in hand :)  buy the fans and forget about them, thas the point of doing SOOO much research wid these newegg buys :D  another thought - get a pair of sharkoons for the Hyper 212+ and have them in [Pull<Hyper212+<Push] setup

Unfortunately, yes I did order them so they're on the way to my domicile. I think I've got the answers I needed so thank you very very much for spending some time with me on my first build I cannot thank you enough!
Score
Anonymous
November 22, 2010 6:53:30 PM

Best answer selected by Gundown99.
Score
a b à CPUs
November 22, 2010 6:58:52 PM

No problem bro, we're here to help!

And thank you for the vote, AGAIN :D 
Score
a b à CPUs
November 22, 2010 7:04:27 PM

OK sorry for the double post :S

*A final note about optimal airflow - try doing cablemanagement - ok - extensively! Get a modular PSU. Look on google and get some tips on cablemanagement. Run some of the wires and sata cables power cable under you mobo and behind the tray. Wires will hamper airflow. Plus it'll look neat. But plan your route for the hefty work - it'll take you a while but the results are TEN folds over!
Score
Anonymous
November 22, 2010 7:11:43 PM

Lutfij said:
OK sorry for the double post :S

*A final note about optimal airflow - try doing cablemanagement - ok - extensively! Get a modular PSU. Look on google and get some tips on cablemanagement. Run some of the wires and sata cables power cable under you mobo and behind the tray. Wires will hamper airflow. Plus it'll look neat. But plan your route for the hefty work - it'll take you a while but the results are TEN folds over!

thx for the heads up! I'll make sure to stock up on zip ties :) 
Score
a b à CPUs
November 22, 2010 7:27:39 PM

cheers mate - G'luck on your build!
Score
a b à CPUs
November 23, 2010 6:31:18 AM

This topic has been closed by Maziar
Score
!