Sign in with
Your question

Random BSODs, unsure of cause

Last response: in Systems
September 1, 2010 7:52:40 AM

I've been fighting with this build for roughly a month now, and two mobo RMAs (was using different board initially, Gigabyte P55 USB3) and another pair of DDR3 sticks later, this is where I'm at:

The computer is hitting blue screens seemingly at random, even while booting off the windows disc. The problem is invariably PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA with a multitude of different files listed as the source, or in some case no source listed at all. The problem definitely has something to do with memory, and this is where it gets interesting... with memtest, running both sticks installed in dual channel it throws errors like mad, typically over 40 errors in less than two seconds. Running the sticks individually (four hours each) shows no errors whatsoever. This occurred on both the current EVGA board and the Gigabyte P55 board (tested w/three different BIOS revisions) I was using previously.

I do not, unfortunately, have another processor or motherboard to test with at the moment, though it occurs to me that the odds of getting three faulty motherboards in a row (across two brands) are pretty long. As such, I'm inclined to believe that there's nothing wrong with the board.

Components:
Intel Core i5-750 Lynnfield 2.66GHz
EVGA P55 FTW 200 SLI 141-LF-E658-KR P55 board (BIOS currently default)
8800GTS I had laying around, confirmed working
600W PSU, again an old component I had laying around, confirmed working
G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 1600 MHz @ 1.5v w/ 9-9-9-24 timings
--Tested at both 1333 and 1600, also tried bumping the voltage slightly to 1.54v at both speeds
--This is my second pair, first pair showed identical symptoms

At this point I'm rapidly running out of things to test, so if anyone has any ideas I'm all ears... :( 

More about : random bsods unsure

September 1, 2010 10:35:04 AM

According to Microsoft, this issue, is related to failing hardware, mostly RAM or video RAM (8800GT in your case). If you have another GPU that you can borrow from a friend or lying around the house, check with it. If the problem go away, then you know where the problem is. If it doesnt help do a memtest 86+ and check if the RAM's are fine. Since the RAM's are new dont think they are the problem. There is a third cause as well. Check this link and you would find out a little bit more:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc957625.asp...

http://www.faultwire.com/solutions-fatal_error/PAGE-FAU...*1095.html
m
l
September 1, 2010 3:13:09 PM

I agree with hell_storm, I think it is your ram or even possibly the ram slots.
m
l
Related resources
September 1, 2010 6:08:59 PM

I've already done extensive checking with memtest, and testing each stick individually shows no errors whatsoever (One just finished a twelve hour test, will do the other one tonight). With both sticks installed it throws errors every which way. This behavior repeats regardless of the slots used (1 + 3 or 2 + 4) on two different (brand new) motherboards with two different sets of RAM (both were new, identical types). This also occurs with my GTX260 installed, as well as a 5850, both of which run flawlessly in my main machine. I honestly have no explanation for this occurrence.

Also, since the errors happen even with the windows boot disk with no hard drive attached, I don't think hard drive errors are relevant. I'm going to try an Ubuntu live disc to see if that blows up, and I'm making a bootable thumbdrive with the windows install disc on it on the off chance that it changes anything.

At this point I'm thinking that either the second Gigabyte board did something to both sets of memory that broke their ability to run in dual channel (is that even possible?), or the CPU is malfunctioning.
m
l
September 2, 2010 8:01:31 AM

Is your PCI slot fine? Take it your service center and get it checked, possibly get an RMA done.
m
l
September 2, 2010 8:09:36 AM

hell_storm2004 said:
Is your PCI slot fine? Take it your service center and get it checked, possibly get an RMA done.

Assuming you're talking about the x16 slot for the video card? That's something that didn't occur to me, but there's more than one slot on the board. I'll try using a different one tomorrow when I have access to the machine again. It seems like there wouldn't be any picture at all, or at least a fairly screwed up one, if the slot was bad though. :??: 
m
l
!