Info about bios versions

donkey_speed

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2011
i recently bought a motherboard that supports AHCI,it hasn't been shipped yet

from what i have read it requires a bios update to be able to use AHCI

now this mobo has been out for some time and it has had few bios updates since release

my question is do manufacturers update the bios on newly prodcued same product or do they keep using first version for the time they produce them

if not i need to flash bios without os so i can use the ahci mode,since win7 doesn't let you change how you set up your sata controller

Solution
Depends on how long your vender (seller) had it in stock. You don't need a floppy or flash drive to flash the bios with many boards. Usually, a windows flash program is available on the webpage for your board. Still, check the bios file first on the post screen. Then go to the bios webpage for your board and see what description is with your bios file (what does it fix?). Then decide if you need to flash.
The latest bios file contains all data from the previous files. You only have to flash once. And I would check the bios carefully for the achi option. It may be under "ide mode". No point in flashing unless you have to. And if you start out with ide, there's an easy way to change windows registry to reboot and be in achi mode. The instructions are easily found using yahoo.

donkey_speed

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2011
english is not my native language,sorry =)

let me put it like this, a company makes a mobo Motherboard X,Motherboard X came out 6 months ago,since coming out it had bios updates

now,does a fresh out of factory Motherboard X have the updated bios or does it have the first bios that were in the ones produced 6 months ago when it came out

thats what i'm trying to learn,cuz i dont have a floppy drive or usb thumbstick or a writable cd around atm,if i have to flash it i will get one of those

i know about flashing bios and modifying settings

Depends on how long your vender (seller) had it in stock. You don't need a floppy or flash drive to flash the bios with many boards. Usually, a windows flash program is available on the webpage for your board. Still, check the bios file first on the post screen. Then go to the bios webpage for your board and see what description is with your bios file (what does it fix?). Then decide if you need to flash.

Solution

donkey_speed

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2011
so if its newly prodcued it is updated by factory,if its an old one not

i live far away from the city and buy stuff from internet,waiting for shipment so i can build the comp,gonna have to pick-up some cd's to be safe then (pocket size external hdd's killed usb sticks and dvd killed cd and floppy lawl),i don't wanna play with registry unless its cleaning shortcut and path stuff so i will flash it before installing windows if there is a need to do it

the first version of bios of that board can't activate the ahci mode i can confirm that the first update is buggy so i have to use the 3rd or last one

thanks for the answers oldie