Solved

Gpu for dedicated physx?

I need a recommendation for a good gpu for physx rendering, my other cards are crossfired ati5850's on an asus crosshair 4, any suggestions welcome
11 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about dedicated physx
  1. What are you using it for?

Generally, it's not the best idea to buy a graphics card specifically for a PPU... the benefits are there, but they're not substantial. If you have a card from a previous build though, then why not?
  2. Best answer
    if your buying another card, i would just get the same as what you have an add it to your multi-card array.
    You'd get more benefit from that, then you would from a dedicated PPU.
    Besides, i'm not sure an Nvidia card and an ATI card play nice anymore on the same mobo.
  3. How would I tri-fire hd5850's and do they need to be the same brand, also will three cards shoe up in ccc?
  4. Any 3 5850s will do and they will show up as three cards in ccc.
  5. 2xHD5850 are great.
    So, 3xHD5850 are more greater than that... :D

Just make sure your PSU can handle those bad boys...
  6. it might be more powerful to sell the 5850s and get something like 2 or 3 GTX 460's/470's because SLI scales so much better than CrossfireX. Of course, only if your mobo can handle it.
  7. Well first things first, I'll need to replace my power supply, I have a 750 watt seasonic, and I guess I'll need a 900-1000watt?
  8. I don't know why others are hating on the Phsyx card idea. Go get an 9800GT for physx and you won't regret it.
  9. jryan388 said:
    it might be more powerful to sell the 5850s and get something like 2 or 3 GTX 460's/470's because SLI scales so much better than CrossfireX. Of course, only if your mobo can handle it.

Umm. no.
    2 GTX460s is the limit and will perform worse than the dual 5850s, and consume more power.
    3 GTX 470s will cost him ~$500, while requiring a 900W+ PSU, and making his hot like an oven. Besides Crosshair Mobos cant SLI ion the first place, (the hack does work, but thats a different story)

Back to the OP, your 750W seasonic can handle 3 5850s just fine, is it the X-750? Great PSU you got there..

In you still want to go with the dedicated PhysX card, grab a cheap GT240, it should handle the job just fine without having much of an impact on power and heat.
  10. Best answer selected by jijoslin.
  11. if your ever in doubt about how much power you need, i've always been a big fan of:
    http://educations.newegg.com/tool/psucalc/index.html
Ask a new question

Read More

Nvidia GPUs Physx Rendering Graphics