Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Should I upgrade to SSD or increase capacity?

Last response: in Storage
Share
December 8, 2012 1:14:28 PM

Is it time I invest into an SSD drive?

I currently have 500 GB and having space issues as I'm having to delete files I'd rather keep, but not critical that I do so.
Well, technically I have 2 HDD 500 GB, but the 2nd drive is to backup the first.

If I increase capacity, then I'll have my 1 TB drive as main drive and back it up to the 2 500 GB or should I also use them as data drive & hope I don't have problem with the drives? (Note: I've only had 1 HD fail on me in my 16+ years dealing with computers & it was about 1-2 years ago & reason I have 2 identical HDs in now).

If I upgrade to SSD, should I use the 2 HDD as data drives and hope they don't fail or keep as I currently have and continue deleting files?

More than likely, I may do both upgrades, but they will be about 4-6 months apart & the reason for my dilemma.

HDD Choice: Western Digital WD Black WD1002FAEX 1TB
SSD Choice: No Clue. Looking at NewEgg.com's prices, it looks like the 128 GB SSDs would be in my price range, but if I wait to upgrade, I could get the 256.

Thank you for your time.
a b G Storage
December 8, 2012 2:43:37 PM

trickynick said:
Is it time I invest into an SSD drive?

I currently have 500 GB and having space issues as I'm having to delete files I'd rather keep, but not critical that I do so.
Well, technically I have 2 HDD 500 GB, but the 2nd drive is to backup the first.

If I increase capacity, then I'll have my 1 TB drive as main drive and back it up to the 2 500 GB or should I also use them as data drive & hope I don't have problem with the drives? (Note: I've only had 1 HD fail on me in my 16+ years dealing with computers & it was about 1-2 years ago & reason I have 2 identical HDs in now).

If I upgrade to SSD, should I use the 2 HDD as data drives and hope they don't fail or keep as I currently have and continue deleting files?

More than likely, I may do both upgrades, but they will be about 4-6 months apart & the reason for my dilemma.

HDD Choice: Western Digital WD Black WD1002FAEX 1TB
SSD Choice: No Clue. Looking at NewEgg.com's prices, it looks like the 128 GB SSDs would be in my price range, but if I wait to upgrade, I could get the 256.

Thank you for your time.


Well, what do you need? This question sort of contradicts itself, as you buy the SSD for pure performance reasons, and if you need more storage, you get a 1TB drive.
What I would do is buy a 1TB drive for data, use the 2-500 gig drives to back up your data with, and buy a 128 gig SSD to install your OS on, along with your programs that you use the most. This will bring new amazing speed to your PC and double the amount of space you have for storage, while leaving you a good amount of space for backing your data as well.
m
0
l
a b G Storage
December 8, 2012 3:20:48 PM

I have to ask why 1TB drive have you thought about the 2TB or even the 3TB drives?.... also a SSD is a great investment.
m
0
l
Related resources
December 8, 2012 11:20:01 PM

I was just looking at pricing for what I could spend now.

Guess I'm trying to figure out, which way would I save the most money? Buying the HD or SSD now then the other in 4-6 months. Which one is expected to drop in price the most?
m
0
l
December 11, 2012 6:50:43 PM

Over a few months, I would assume that a smaller, current generation SSDs are more likely to drop in price than the 1TB or larger drives will over the same period, but there's no guarantee.
m
0
l
December 12, 2012 2:56:25 PM

SSD! no doubt.
Im addicted to the short loading times.
I would suggest Force GT 128gig.
If you want 240, go with 2x128 gig raid 0.
m
0
l
!