Sign in with
Your question

GTX 470 SLI fit with custom heatsinks?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
July 28, 2010 3:39:44 AM

I have 2 Asus GTX470s coming in with a Asus P6x58d premium mobo, and Im wondering what kind of custom heatsinks will fit the 470 and clear enough room to SLI them, I know at least they will cover the slot above, I just dont want them french kissing eachother with custom heatsinks!

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

so if anyone has any suggestion for choices in VGA heatsinks or any tried and true tested reviews for anything I would greatly appriciate it.
a b U Graphics card
July 28, 2010 3:56:44 AM

Why do you need custom heatsinks on these? SLI'd 470s will already run just about anything maxed out (depending on your monitor/monitors)
a c 189 U Graphics card
a b Ĉ ASUS
July 28, 2010 7:55:49 AM

I think stock cooler on that card is good enough to cooling down the temps...
SLI'd GTX 470 are still "cool" enough. :) 
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
July 28, 2010 8:19:42 AM

I wouldn't bother with after market coolers on such power hunry cards.

while they can often lower the GPU temps quite significantly, they almost always neglect the RAM and VRMs. which on a card like this need more cooling than the GPU.

you will be able to find a cooler that is able to keep the whole card cool, but not without taking up 3 PCI slots and ruining your SLI option.
July 28, 2010 10:26:17 AM

thank you all for your insights, they definitely put things into a diffrent perspective and Welshmousepk I was exacly afraid of that happening.

hopefully later in the future when it comes the time for overclocking them i can find a nice heatsink that will feet inbetween them.
a b U Graphics card
July 28, 2010 2:32:18 PM

Quote:

while they can often lower the GPU temps quite significantly, they almost always neglect the RAM and VRMs. which on a card like this need more cooling than the GPU.

Correct, however it should be noted that if one chooses to go the water cooling route, there are (or will be) full cover water blocks which will cool the MOSFETS/VRAM.

Another thing that you could consider if the air flow near the cards are too little is to add some thing like an Antec Spot Cool near the cards.
July 28, 2010 4:33:08 PM

If your case has 8 PCI expansion slots you'll be able to run the cards in SLI and keep a decent space between them, which will mean the top card wont get an extra 10 degrees hotter
a b U Graphics card
July 28, 2010 6:41:11 PM

Petey1013 said:
If your case has 8 PCI expansion slots you'll be able to run the cards in SLI and keep a decent space between them, which will mean the top card wont get an extra 10 degrees hotter

Except that it's his motherboard that determines the spacing between cards. :)  Not his case.
July 28, 2010 9:11:21 PM

Yes water cooling seems to be the only solution that would solve the space and the Vram and ram cooling problem, I was looking around and saw the EVGA GTX470 Hydro copper FTW the waterblock looks very solid and the temp drops substantially, I wonder if they sell theri waterblocks with out the card.

http://hothardware.com/Reviews/EVGA-GTX-480-Hydro-Coppe...
July 29, 2010 1:40:32 PM

jerreece said:
Except that it's his motherboard that determines the spacing between cards. :)  Not his case.

And I have his motherboard, which is why I made that comment.
!