What graphics card can i get with this mobo.

thisjustanother

Distinguished
May 22, 2010
i bought a prebuilt HP machine about a year ago, the hp pavilion elite m9250f. i upgraded the memory to 8gigs, added a new psu, and put in a new video card a month after i got the machine, so i am now thinking about getting a new video card. the mobo is the intell g33, it says its PCI Express x16 and PCI Express x1. i dont know much about the new video cards and the compatibility issues. i was thinking about getting the gtx 460 card. but that says its a PCI Express 2.0 x16, does that mean im out of luck in getting a new card?

BigEasyOne

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2010

hi youngster,

you are good to go with the latest video cards with 1 pci-e x 16 slot. check to see if that slot is pci-e 2.1 or pci-e 2.0. don't buy a card that is pci-e 2.1 for a pci-e 2.0 slot. another thing you need to look out for is some of the cards are rather long and have issues with mid tower cases and even full tower cases. my choice was to go with nVidia geforce 460 for a few reasons. the first is nVidia 3d vision. the 3d vision technology requires certain video card compatibility. check the nVidia web site. some of those cards are older 240's. i have always bought ati radeon in the past. ati has some really good stuff. i like their 5830 and 5850 cards. but, i'm not a hard core gamer. what you do with ur 'puter dictates the choices you need to look at. i went with nVidia for the first time solely 'cause the 3d possibilities. can you imagine HD 3d? it's here now. if ur buying a card why not look to the future of what you might like to do with it later that you don't do now? for my needs i can't see spending more than $250.00 for a card. there are too many really good 460's that overclock really well. see tom's hardware review of geforce nvidia 460 cards.... and do some reading is another way you can gain knowledge about what it is you REALLY need. it is easy to get caught up in the hoopla of needing the fastest, most powerful, newest, etc. cards when all you really need is great HD and 3d. if you don't do hard core gaming why spend the extra money? all those expensive cards are for is the fast gaming experience. hope this helps.